Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami temps?

Good day all!
    During the pandemic I have been playing with different techniques and rubs in the quest for perfect pastrami. I am blessed to still have my dad and my father in law alive and well and we have been dropping food and wine at their door regularly. I am trying to create pastrami that they can easily heat, slice and eat. In other words they won’t steam the meat for hours prior to eating a sandwich. They want simplicity and who am I to argue?

i have read pulling the meat at 165, 180 and of course 203. What I am thinking is get the meat to 180 so we have a good crust and smoke but not all the way to 203. I would then cut hunks and vac seal the bags so they can gently bring up to temp at a slow simmer on the stove (they will not SV) and the slice and eat.

Any thoughts?

Stay safe, and thanks!

What you suggest probably would work. Most people who pull at lower temps intend to steam. I don't steam, which is why I pull at 203.

Comment

I smoke through the stall, then steam until 203° chill, slice and bag seal. When reheated in water bath they are fall apart tender
      Last edited by texastweeter; May 9, 2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

If you haven’t already found it, KosherDosher has what might be the ultimate ‘strami cure and rub.

Comment

I would cook all the way and then chill. For my pastrami leftovers, I leave it whole and slice cold. Then steam the slices which only take a few minutes to heat thru, so I would think that would be the best approach to slice and seal in a serving size. That’s how I do it when I make bacon for my dad. Don’t want him to mess around and having to slice a big slab

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the way my Momma did it. It works!

My last thick chunk made it to 210 wrapped on the pit.

Comment

I do like shify , take the pastrami unwrapped (or wrapped at 180° depending on time), to probe tender, somewhere between 195 and 205°, serve some for supper and chill the rest overnight. Then I slice and vacuum seal the leftovers. It's so much easier to slice when cold. I can't tell the difference between rewarming the slices over steam or giving them a handful of seconds in the microwave.

Usually I just reheat them by putting the cold slices on bread in my Panini maker, add the fixins for a Ruben sammie, and sear away for several minutes . The meat is always perfectly heated through in panini rubens made that way.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here