Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darn, that's cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Since you're searing and cooking steaks again, does that mean you're back in the USofA again, AZ Fogey , or are you still abroad, dining on the amazing dishes that your wife and her sisters make?

I've never cooked a steak from frozen. I may have to give it a try. Thanks.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• AZ Fogey
    commented on 's reply
    God, I love this forum. Where else can you get this incredible sharing of techniques all in one place. There's so much BBQ knowledge here, it's mind boggling.

• mnavarre
    replied
    I do this all the time. Unless I've actually planned ahead and taken a steak out of the freezer, I just cook from frozen. I've even done it to small rib roasts.

With thinner steaks, or if I'm cooking on my gasser, I do pretty much whatIowaGirl did. Thicker cuts, I start out reverse searing maybe with a couple of wood chunks. When the meat starts sweating, I start seasoning. On thick steaks that's also usually when you can get a thermometer probe in, too. Once the steak is up to the temp I want (usually 118F), I pull it off and let it rest while I get the SnS up to Warp 10, sear it off, and enjoy. It's basically the same with tri tip, which is just a big steak anyway.

Leave a comment:

• AZ Fogey
    commented on 's reply
    IowaGirl Outstanding! I think your idea of applying seasoning after the meat has thawed a little is a very good idea. Rub doesn't stick all that well to frozen stuff. Like you, I think this technique has legs and requires just a little practice to get it right. And also, like you, I don't care much about the gray band of meat if the rest of it is cooked just right. And thanks for the reference to the Thermoworks blog. It explains the process very well.
    Last edited by AZ Fogey; May 7, 2020, 07:32 PM.

• IowaGirl
    replied
    What rock have I been living under that I've not heard of this idea before? It makes cooking steak almost as easy as cooking burgers.

I used my Weber gasser tonight to cook a well-marbled 1 1/2" thick, 12 oz, boneless ribeye. I set the GrillGrates with the flat side up and preheated Weber with all burners on until the grate surface was about 650 F. Seared both sides of the frozen steak, turning every minute or two, until both sides were a fairly even dark brown. This sear step took about 7 minutes.

That is a little less time than the tutorial (below) suggests, but I decided to stop searing when the surface looked right rather than sticking strictly to time. Another few minutes and the color would have been closer to black rather than dark brown. That dark ain't the way I think a nice ribeye should be treated.

After the first flip, I started to sprinkle the upper side of the meat with a mix of salt, coarsely ground pepper, and garlic powder -- a little sprinkle of seasoning each time I flipped the meat. I'd premixed the seasoning ahead of time so it was easy to grab a pinch and sprinkle right after flipping.

After the color was right, I put the ribeye on the cooler side of the grill (about 350 F) and cooked the steak to an internal temp of 120-125 F for a medium rare finish. That took about 10 minutes. I put pre-steamed and seasoned potato wedges and carrot sticks on the hot side of the grill (with the burners turned down to medium) to warm and brown slightly.

I split the steak for my Mister and I making sure we both got a little of the ribeye cap. Heavenly. The crust was crunchy and savory and the center was juicy and flavorful. The less-desirable gray band of meat right beneath the crust was a mere 1/8" thick, if that.

I loosely followed this tutorial: https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/pe...teaks-freezer/

Leave a comment:

• AZ Fogey
    started a topic Darn, that's cold.

Darn, that's cold.

I had an interesting cook yesterday. I had cut up a tri-tip into steaks, and my wife mistakenly put the tail of the tri-tip that I was going to cook in the freezer instead of the refrigerator. Damn French Door refrigerators. Anyway, time to put the rub on and the meat was rock solid. Fortunately, I’d seen a YouTube video by a Dutch pit master who goes by the name of PitmasterX (great cook and a funny and entertaining guy), who grilled a frozen steak on purpose, so I knew it could be done. This was obviously NOT going to be a reverse sear day. Got the fire started and when it was good and hot, I put the meat on for 5 minutes a side. It was a pretty good sear, but I should have dosed the meat with butter to get more flame. Then I switched it to the cold side of the pit and reined in the pit temp . I was shooting for 225°, the reality was a high of 237° but it came down from there. When the meat reached 115°, I put it back on the hot side to finish. It came out OK for a first attempt at cooking a frozen piece of meat, and I might try it again, but on purpose next time and with a little more forethought.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-tip 1.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	842708

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trip-tip 2.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	842709

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here