Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doner Kebab or Kebap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doner Kebab or Kebap

This is surprisingly difficult to find out. I am making doner kebab and would like to use beef. I have a spit and am smoking it. Currently I am planning to use skirt steak. Would another type of beef be better?
    Last edited by STEbbq; May 6, 2020, 09:27 PM.

I've not made it myself, but are you looking to do actual kebabs or more in the pita style like a gyro? The factors I'm thinking about are how thin you are serving the meat. Skirt tends to be a bit tougher, and benefits from a hot and fast cook, then sliced thin. So that could work in the pita style. If you want something thicker and you don't want to cook it to 200 degrees (like we do brisket), then you need a tender piece of meat. So a true kebab might be best with cubed top sirloin or tenderloin, if money is no object.

Most of what I've seen is those big spits with meat sliced or pounded thin and then put on the spit rotisserie style, just like gyros. I'm guessing you don't want to actually do that, just get meat that emulates that.

Comment

I am looking to pile the meat high on my spit ( https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/meat-stick-spit ) and slice it off like they do in the restaurants, so gyro style. I don't mind pounding the meat thin, but I thought the use of the spit would let me avoid having to slice it all before cooking. I guess I am envisioning 6-7 pieces of thin meat on a stack and sliced when cooked through. Cubed top sirloin sounds like a good idea! Any other thoughts?

Comment

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        I think a cut up chuckie would be a better choice, not enough marbling in a sirloin.

Here's some inspiration:

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah. You are going all out! I have no experience. I've seen it done on video with other meats, they usually thread the meat on and trim to shape as they go, then stack the trim on top and thread on more meat to sandwich the trim inside. Honestly I don't know why you couldn't use just about anything, since it's going to be coming off the spit in small thin cuts.

I'm thinking the slicing before stacking is a real advantage. I know when making gyros (pork kebab) that you use thin slices of pork butts. Each slice is kind of oval (as you would expect when slicing a pork butt). So each slice is threaded onto the spit at the end, so it hangs down/out like a tongue if you like. Each slice is rotated slightly and then you keep on threading each one on until you've built a nice stack. This means when you slice it after 'grilling' it is already shredded so to speak, and you get more surface area which is charred/grilled.

As for meats, I would use a fattier meat like a beef chuck or knuckle. But to be honest I haven't done it myself yet, so I'll see if anyone else has firsthand experience.

Comment

Here is more or less what Henrik and I are talking about.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Spot on!

I've often wanted to re-create a shawarma or doner kabob using my rotisserie and seen some guys on here that have tried it. Using lamb, chicken, pork really any meat that is stacked thin works, it's the cooking method that makes it what it is. My issue with doing it at home is your not cooking it the way it's intended to be cooked, i.e. on a rotating spit against a constant heat source. As you slice pieces off the spit continues to rotate and the new surface is exposed and charred. Then slice and repeat. Cooking it just as one big chunk is not the same thing since you only get one charred surface, or you can sit there and slice away for hours on end which is totally impractical.

I'll just run down the road to John the Greek's restaurant and have some of the finest authentic gyros money can by. Works well for me !!

Comment

I had dinner at a Brazilian restaurant that was next to my hotel in Marietta GA a few years ago. It looks like my picture from Google Maps fell away but here is a similar one. Photo credit Angela S at Google Maps. You can almost make out the grill behind him. It's a buffet style with a carving station. I think this is what you're shooting for.

The place also had an attached market, travel agency, and a little jewelry shop that did a repair for me.

http://www.minas-grill.com/

Comment

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            That is different, not Döner kabab. Might be easier at home than Döner though.

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            That is just thick steak or a roast cooked on a skewer

Thanks for all of the feedback. I am definitely going to plan on picking up some tip sirloin (knuckle I think) or chuck roast. I think you guys have raised some good points re: the lack of rotation. Right now, I'm thinking the best approach is to marinate, pound it thin, cook it to temp, and then after cooking, trim in slices, and crisp up on a cast iron skillet. That way, I don't get just one layer of crispy meat. I think that should give me a good result, but would love further feedback. I really appreciate all of the thoughts!

Comment

I thought this approach to making doner was interesting:

Kathryn

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc did you ever try this? We absolutely love gyros, but wound up in "gyros dead zone" here in town, nothing for miles, but used to having some authentic ones right around the corner... not in a position to travel to get them, so I’ll settle for "close enough"... I’ll be the crash-test-dummy if we need one!

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              No I haven't made them yet, but it's certainly on my list. Lead on, patcrail . I'm right behind you!

Kathryn

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc I guess I’m up! Now I’ve gotta find the meat.... I’ll be sure to post 😎

fzxdoc : any thoughts on what meat to use? I’m not very familiar with minced meat, looks like she used "minced meat", beef with onion. I’m wondering if I could use ground lamb/ground beef & somehow mince it together in a blender? Small batches? No processor.... ideas? High on my to-cook list

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc Ahh, now I see... looks like "minced" is the UK term for "ground"... so thinking 50/50 lamb/beef & see what happens

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, patcrail , I plan on using ground beef as well. We're not too big on lamb, but I was thinking 60/40 ground beef with bison for more flavor.

Kathryn

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc I’m not a big fan of lamb, either. I just want to get as close to an authentic gyros flavor with mine, tzatziki & all (although I’ll probably add some sour cream to thicken, don’t like it authentically runny).
              Buffalo is an interesting thought, though, got me thinking now!
              Last edited by patcrail; July 22, 2020, 05:41 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here