Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking a flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Keep drinking beer is always a sound plan.

• vtkess02
    replied
    Awesome, thanks all for the replies. I'll let you guys know how things turn out...

Sounds like I should err on the long side as far as time goes. I guess the nice thing there is, if it gets done early I can just toss it in the faux Cambrio and wait it out (keep drinking beer) until dinner...

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    Usually when I cook a packer the point gets done before the flat. With no point I would expect it to be done faster than it would with the point sitting on top, but not a great deal faster. I don't have any empirical data I can give you, but I would guess no more than 20% faster. So if you think 10 hours had it been a packer, maybe 8 since it is just a flat. There are a lot of variables that can affect time, so I don't think giving you a number of hours is likely to be accurate.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Sorry, never done no flat, all on its lonesome.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    Flats usually take me 7-9 hours, cooking at 250-275, wrapping in butcher paper at about 180 IT (after the bark is well set).

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    Welcome to the pit. How big is your flat that will determine cooking time, as will weather and other things such as cooking temp. So expect a bunch of answers. I usually cook mine at 275 and depending on size it will take 5-7 maybe even 8 hours. If you want to do a search at the top of the page and do a search for brisket flat. When the page comes just enter May 1, 2019 - May 6 2020. You will 3 pages to look through for ideas. You also need to click Pitmaster Club further down on the form.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 6, 2020, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I've never smoked flat, but someone will be along shortly that can help.

Leave a comment:

• vtkess02
    started a topic Smoking a flat

Smoking a flat

Hey everyone, sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it... the wife picked up a brisket for smoking on the KBQ this weekend, and lo and behold it's a flat instead of the packer I was hoping for. I've only smoked a handful of briskets in the past so I'm a bit of a novice. My general question is, is the process different for a flat than it is for a packer? Any tips or tricks unique to this cut of meat?

Obviously it'll take a lot shorter time, but any idea how much shorter? I've read that a typical flat cooks about as long as St Louis ribs - 5 hours or so. Does that sound like it's in the ballpark?

Thanks all. This is my first post. Love the site, love the message board!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here