Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"butchering"-a-strip-loin-roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Butchering" a strip loin roast

If you’re experienced at this, there’s nothing new here. But, I’ve never done it, and if you haven’t but have been thinking about it, here’s the deal.

I got this at Restaurant Depot. I wasn’t impressed by the selection or prices, but this was choice Angus (not certified), and around $10/lb.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DC370BCE-E514-43F7-8EE9-F8F235618DF4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	840759

I would have taken pictures of trimming the fat cap, but I didn’t want to waste a set of rubber gloves. Just take that boning knife and get ruthless! Anything you don’t want to eat, cut it off. This is the underside, but you’ll be able to see the trim in the next photo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_114642.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	840760

I cut some thin, some thick, and some medium. Mrs Mosca doesn’t like the thick ones, and of course I do. This is the fat cap up, trimmed. When you cut these, DO NOT SAW. Get your sharpest knife, put the heel of the blade against the roast, and push down HARD and pull back. You want one clean cut. If you need to cut one more time, reset the knife in the cut and pull back again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8F0DF77D-AB72-4FB3-8576-D8FCB656229E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.02 MB ID:	840762

Click image for larger version  Name:	A0F37D60-F337-4B78-A5C1-FAC49E998D0B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	840763

Here are some steaks. They’re okay, not prime but they should be pretty good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B0891B08-FE95-4CE9-9B9A-E24982EF2504.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.31 MB ID:	840764

And for the freezer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	35F6BBB3-4914-4F73-B2AB-54981D2AC19C.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	840772

That’s gonna be some good eatin’!
    Last edited by Mosca; May 2, 2020, 12:12 PM.

The steaks look pretty good. Only the last picture of the package steaks showed, none of the others came through.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I was having trouble writing it on the iPad, it kept bouncing me, and I was refilling it from the "restore discarded" button.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Should be good now.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, all good and they look delicious.

I’m sure I can be there in 4-5 hours
    with the border closed I may have to swim
    Erie but for steaks like that...Dude I’m there

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here