Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should be good for a bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should be good for a bit

First time we have bought this much of 1 cow, im quite excited! Trying some t bones tonight Click image for larger version

Name:	20200429_165348.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	839490Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_170543.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	839488Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_170133.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	839489

That’s a lot of beef!

I’ve contemplated purchasing a side of beef, but haven’t done so yet. We don’t eat a lot of ground beef, just the steaks, roasts and such. I was going to call a few butchers and farms to see if you can customize a bit, but haven’t got that far.

enjoy those big ol T-bones!!!!!!

Comment

We have a 1/4 being processed and a hog scheduled for next month.

Comment

Beautiful. We have thought about doing that pretty often; now, with the shortages and everything, we are closer than ever to pulling the trigger.

Comment

Same here. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Comment

I'm definitely thinking we're gonna head in that direction as well. May try raising a hog though. Problem is all the chest freezers are sold out cause of the virus!

Comment

My wife was just talking me into buying 1/4 steer (~150-175lbs) @ $2.65-2.75lb this summer. I think I'm sold as well. My local store has [intentionally or unintentionally, regardless] raised the price of ground beef to $4.29/lb. Boo.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Like everything in jersey...its more expensive here. Avg price i see is about $4/lb and then there are processing fees on top of that. If i could get it for $2.75 id jump

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                grantgallagher that price does have a 'hanging & processing' fee on top of it, but still, $4 plus fees is crazy. Sorry to hear that.

My uncle had a beef farm and our families split a steer every year.
              marshall pics sum it up, have a huge freezer it fills up fast.
              But the best meat custom cut to your liking if you know what your doing.
              A neighbour was a butcher and did the cutting for a couple of cuts.

Comment

When I was in Jr High - college we fed out cattle to sell as 1/4, 1/2, and whole cows. Didn't start buying beef in the store until I was in my late 20s, and even then we'd do 1 for family every couple of years. I occasionally look around, but finding someone who feeds them out the way I want them fed, and doesn't cost too much, has been more work than I've wanted to put in. I need to take some time and go visit some places around the area. Plus I don't know about the butchers anymore. The ones we used are gone. The one I know of currently is too far away to want to go to regularly... *sigh*

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  10-4 on the butchers, our guy is in his 90's now, still extremely active but just not into meat cutting anymore.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here