Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked bnls chuck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocinante
    replied
    Chuck is becoming my favorite to smoke, as of late. I will dry brine for at least a day, usually with nothing more than Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. I was using a homemade rub of mine with brown sugar and the usual, but find with this meat the simpler the better. I will also tie mine as pictured above if it looks like it may split during the cook. After a little stall and the bark looks good, I will wrap with paper.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Here is his PBC version, also great. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Agree!

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Has become my favorite. Would much rather pull than slice but either way is fine. I take mine to 175 and wrap but have had success either way. I do like to add beef broth (not alot) when I wrap and let it braise until 210. Excellent flavor.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    I have used super lean chucks from our grass fed/finished cattle before and they are fine using my above recipe.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Similar. Inject and dry brine 24-48 hours in advance. Douse in hot sauce as a binder and apply salt free rub. You can use the BBBR from the free site. Smoke at 225° over oak and mesquite until bark is set (around 175°). Crutch in paper and take up to 203°-208°. Pull, wrap on foil and hold in towel lined cooler for about 4 hours. Remove, unwrap and pull. Serve as tacos or on seeded burger buns (I like sourdough jalapeno cheddar buns) with a splash of hot sauce, sliced onions, and pickled jalapeno

• Red Man
    replied
    Chuckies are forgiving like a pork butt. The biggest difference is not all chuckies are suited for low and slow. There’s a lot of lean chuck roast out there. You need to find a very well marbled chuck roast. Smoke it low and slow until it’s tender, and it will be great. Here’s a pic of a perfect one for smoking.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	31FD1947-9808-4389-B78D-D09721ECF231.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	838336

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    They're super easy to do, don't be intimidated, brother!

Dry brine, if ya wish, overnight is good...

Set up yer cooker to hold desired temp...while it's warmin up, apply yer rub of choice, liberally, to yer chuckie.

Put yer chuckie into yer cooker, at th optimum place to cook indirect. I almost always use a water pan, on alla my cooks, an don't wrap. Others have great success w/o water pan, an wrap. Probly yer call, here...

Since I tend to check on my offset fire / temp bout every half hour, bout every hour I'll rotate my cook, to help even out heat distribution in my protein(s)

When ya have developed some bark to yer likin, ya can wrap it, if ya wish...from then on, monitor it purty closely; won't be too much longer afore it's done, generally. Every cook is different...

Probe with yer Thermapen, when yer Smoke says it's 185°, or greater...

Pull when it probes easy, like buttah, can purty reliably use th temps cited above, as well...

Cover, if not already wrapped, rest a good hour, more if scheduling permits.

Enjoy! Chuckies are Oh So Dang Good!!!!

(An simple enough, even I can do em!)

Any more questions, rye cheer's th place; lotsa really talented, experienced folks here, that'll help ya git er done!

Be safe an well, have a Great Cook, lookin forward to some pics...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 26, 2020, 09:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I've followed both these recipes and had great success:

With this smoked sliced chuck roast recipe, you'll be able to create beef as moist, tender, and flavorful as traditional Texas brisket. Taken from the shoulder of the steer directly above the brisket, chuck roast offers as much flavor as its neighboring cut but at a much more manageable price and weight.

Chuck roast has never tasted better. By using a low and slow barbecue technique, this already flavorful cut of beef picks up the wonderful taste of smoke and is rendered juicy and tender enough to pull into shreds. Using the pulled BBQ chuck roast method results in beef that can be used for tacos and countless other dishes.

I prefer the second one - the pulled version, versus the sliced version. More fat renders if you cook to the higher temperature I think.

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    Chuck Roast do best for me at a low and slow temp around 225. I’ll let them ride until they reach around 170-175 IT then wrap until they reach 200-205.
    I also dry brine these for 2 days in the fridge then use a Montreal Steak seasoning for a rub.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    replied
    This is one of my favorites. Always comes out great. http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/cla...-clay-roberts/

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    This is pretty comprehensive and written by one of our very own members (and former moderator)!

Smoked shredded beef has all the tender, shredded, juicy, smoky goodness of pulled pork with the bold beefy flavor we love from a good beef brisket. We like to think of it as the perfect hybrid between pulled pork and brisket.

you'll do great! Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Just let it ride until it gets dark enough for your liking. Then wrap and take to 210-ish if you want to pull or 185-190 if you just want to slice.

Leave a comment:

• DesertRaider
    started a topic Smoked bnls chuck question

Smoked bnls chuck question

Since it's looking warm out this week, and I've got one day with low wind, I was going to try smoking a bnls chuck roast I just picked up. Acutally one of three (currently a FoodMaxx special). My first attempt is on the 5lb piece, and while I've seen several threads praising the end product, I haven't found a decent guide.

Beyond SVQ, low and slow, and smoke then braise, is there a good option for cooking it in the smoker start to finish? I've seen several mentions of cooking it like brisket, which causes me grave concern considering my current track record with brisket. I'm using a COS, but am armed with a Smoke and Thermapen, so I can keep tabs on the temps. Any pitfalls to be aware of? Any suggestions to take it from ok to great?

TIA, and stay safe.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here