Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Brisket, but close ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Brisket, but close ?

Trying to come up with the right mix of seasoning for my briskets, unfortunately it's becoming a bit spendy and I end up with a lot of meat that I am not overly fond of, so....
    What can I use, if anything, to come close to brisket but not as expensive?
    TIA

Al

Chuck roast. Generally inexpensive, really good for times when it's just a couple of people eating it and you can even divide a larger roast into 2-3 hunks to try different seasonings at the same time.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Third!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup yup

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, I do chuckies far more often...Great flavour, faster cook.

Agreed. Did my first chuck a couple of weeks ago...outstanding.

Comment

Maybe try butchering a much larger piece, i.e a full packer, into smaller pieces. That way you could get a few cooks out of each purchase.

Comment

I use chuck roast to make burnt ends. They turn out great and in my opinion the chuck roast is a little easier to cook. And if you blow it, quite a bit less expensive.

Comment

Chuck roast it is, and even burnt ends..whoa!!

Thanks all.

Al

Comment

• Blues1
            Blues1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Let us know how it goes...

Around here, choice chuck roast is a buck or two more per pound than prime brisket, but it’s usually a smaller hunk of meat to experiment with. I love smoked and pulled chuck...

Comment

Chuckie...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_181816.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	837183

Comment

Brisket is cheaper than Chuck in my neck of the woods.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Here too.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Here too, but not usually a great selection of briskys to choose from.

Cost is an issue, but the the main reason is the smaller amounts I can get Chuck in, that make it a better thing to experiment with.
              Once again, thanks all.

Al

Comment

It’s too bad your local grocer doesn’t offer pre-cut points and flats like they do here. Of course a little more expensive but you’re dealing with smaller hunks. Like someone mentioned, you can always pull out a knife and do it yourself and freeze the other portion.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Probably ground beef for hamburger patties

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I regularly smoke the point and corn the flat.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My MO exactly. In fact I need to buy an HEB Prime 1 before they start to disappear, I'm due.

Chucks are a great piece of meat to smoke and use in a slow cooker. Other than getting a double pack at Costco, or on sale at my local store, it costs more than brisket. Reminds me of how cheap chicken wings used to be back in the day. Then they got to be popular and the cost went through the roof. Of course, I have just dated myself.

Comment

I picked up a 2.5# Chuck Roast today and hopefully will get to try it soon, thanks all.
                  Ya, points are hard to find, be another way to go.

Comment

2 chucks going on this morning, one for my family and one a gift for my buddies family. Hoping for some good pulled beef.
                    Attached Files

Comment

IU like to go 50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Then I add some granulated garlic and some granulated onion. A little Accent at the end helps to amp up the flavor.

If I am going to go the commercial route, I love going with Oak Ridge BBQ's Black Ops or Big Poppa Smokers Cash Cow.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here