Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib Part Deux

Looking for some advice from The Pit.

I have a 2.86 lb piece of prime rib that was leftover from Christmas. It was cooked initially with a 36 hour dry brine then it was reverse seared to 135. It’s now a delicious little frozen meteorite in my freezer. That said, I’d like to get it out and finish it off. Looking for advice on how to best do this. My thoughts are below, however, I’m open to more suggestions.

1. Thaw. Slice into steaks and then cook to brown/reheat.

2. Thaw. Sous vide at 135 for 4-6 hours then take out and brown edges.

3. Thaw, cut into chunks and sauté with fried potatoes and onions.

Appreciate y’all’s help in advance.

pic below is of the aforementioned vacuumed sealed prime rib.
    Attached Files

I brought mine from Easter to fridge temp - ~ 38F - and sliced paper thin and fajitas sizes. We ate a lot at first with bell peppers and onions as soft tacos, and the next day as vietnamese beef wraps in boston lettuce (fish and hot sauce, julienne carrot, red onion, slices of jalos). The rest was used up with a horseradish mustard in sammies.

Comment

I’d be tempted for the whole sous vide reheat but would probably lean towards doing a prime rib has with an overeasy egg on top.

Comment

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

I’d do the SV method.

Comment

Chop it up and use it in chili.

Comment

Maybe try to roast hot and fast while semifrozen to resear the outside, and not overcook the interior.

Comment

Chop fine and make a roast beef hash and eat with a poached egg on top

Comment

If you're going to SV there's no need to thaw first. 4 to 6 hours at 135 will be more than enough to both thaw it and warm it through. If it were me, I'd let it thaw to the point where it is still a little frozen and then slice thinly for some awesome sandwich meat.

Comment

I'm so leery of thawing big chunks of meat with SV because of the length of time it has to stay in the danger zone to become completely thawed. It's already been through the danger zone twice in the ramp up to temp and in the cooldown when it was originally prepared. Those trips through the danger zone are cumulative, according to a creditable link provided by Potkettleblack on a thawing with SV topic here.

I'd go for an overnight (or however long it takes) thaw in the fridge. If possible, enjoy it cold. It's when some meats get reheated that they take on that leftover taste, at least according to a blurb I read on the Modernist Cuisine site. Me, I love cold beef roast and hot horseradish.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; April 21, 2020, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here