Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you put in a rub for Tex Mex chuckies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you put in a rub for Tex Mex chuckies?

I'm thinking I'm gonna buy a chuckie or two the next time I go to the grocery, and one will be dedicated to Tex Mex or Mexican. I'm thinking nachos for sure, and probably some burritos. I'd like to make some smoked chili too,

I have done these before with leftovers, but I am thinkin' that smokin' a chuckie seasoned for that purpose might take the dishes up a notch.

Soooo suggestions are welcome.

I'd go with a lot of the things that go into the chili powder recipes here, but also heavy on the cumin and as much chipotle powder as your household can bear.

Comment

+1 on cumin. Mexican oregano if you can find it. I probably would use chipotle, but I would tend to use a light hand because I think it could take over. You're already smoking it, so you don't necessarily need more smoke.

And this one may sound odd, but I would use unsweetened cocoa powder.

Comment

look at the cool smoke rub. Sub a home made ancho based chili powder for his chili powder blend, use chipotle instead of cayenne, and add a little coffee. Use hot sauce as a binder.

Comment

Why not use the same basics that you would use for a chili? Chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper .... or just go straight to BBBR?

Comment

Adobo seasoning. Either make or purchase. What you do after that is up to you.

Comment

Use the adobo sauce from the can of Chipotle’s.

as for dry stick with the basics salt, garlic etc... otherwise all of the dishes you make will taste the same.

IMHO make a base meat and season each follow up dish accordingly.

I always ask myself "how will this be used" and that dictates the profile and cook techniques.

Comment

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                Some good tips here. I like that!

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Good idea.

K.

Looks like all the boxes have been checked. Make it your own from these suggestions.

Comment

Thanx all for the suggestions. Besides all the common stuff like SPOG, I do have on hand chipotle powder, Mexican oregano, chipotles in adobo sauce, and ground cumin. I probably have some coco powder too. Now I just need a good chuckie.

Comment

Ingredients
                  • 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
                  • 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
                  • 1 tsp Black Pepper
                  • 1 tsp ground cumin
                  • 1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
                  • 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
                  • 1/2 tsp ground mexican (or regular) oregano
                  • 1/2 tsp Cilantro
                  I do chucks with this rub often and foil after 3-4 hours to keep then from getting too barky. Unfortunately, I don’t remember if I got this as is from somewhere or made it up combining a couple of other recipes. Lately, I’ve left the salt out and gone with dry brining overnight.

Comment

Worst case do daly and pepper for the cook and and then season again without salt for each dish appropriately.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here