Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spicy Burnt Ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spicy Burnt Ends?

So I made some burnt ends today with Dr Pepper and Blues Hog BBQ sauce that turned out great. I’d like to make a spicy version next time. Jalapeños really don’t add enough spice for us. What would you recommend?

Red pepper flakes or cayenne.

Comment

Originally posted by klflowers View Post
      Red pepper flakes or cayenne.

I like it. How much do you think for say 5 pounds of point?

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I generally measure by taste. Maybe a couple of teaspoons?

That’s a good question. It’s challenging to identify what level of heat you are looking for. Not everyone has the same level of tolerance towards hot and spicy foods, which of course adds to the difficulty of properly answer the question.

Just like klflowers suggested, I would recommend you add a bit of cayenne and/ or dehydrated pepper flakes to the rub and see how your family likes it. The good news is that if they want more heat, dry pepper flakes, like the ones customary used for pizza, can help deliver that. Just offer every person the chance to apply as much as they want to their individual portions, so you won’t have to worry too much about making it inedible or unpleasant.

Jalapeños are perhaps the most cultivated variety of peppers in our markets, and there are just so many different varieties and hybrids, that the range of heat you get is simply too wide. You can’t truly expect that a jalapeño you buy in FL, will be close enough in its heat level, as to one purchased in CA. In general, they are mild to very low heat, but for people who customarily eat hot and spicy foods. Those not used to it are likely to find Jalapeños borderline too hot and maybe not as pleasant.

The heat imparted by dehydrated pepper flakes generally speaking, won’t necessarily alter the taste of your finished product, to the point as liquid or paste type hot sauces can, and will.

For instance, a dash of Tabasco Hot Sauce or any other vinegar based hot sauce will add the kick, but for most people that like it very hot, there is a point where the taste of the hot sauce will significantly alter the taste you originally worked on for your guest to enjoy, without adding much more heat. So, dry pepper flakes is perhaps one of the safest way to go.

There are smoked dehydrated peppers available in powdered form too. Those for sure, will change the flavor profile of what you are serving if applied individually on platted helpings, unless you use it from the beginning and cook all of your burnt ends with it from the get go.

Sriracha AKA rooster sauce, can be successfully used as a binder. It works great; however, from personal experience, people I have shared BBQ with, and that when we talk about the ingredients and other initial conversation, will say it’s really good and just fine when it comes to heat, because they know about sriracha sauce and use it. Those that don’t, or haven’t heard of it, usually find it way too hot.

There are hotter peppers that can add much more heat... waayyyyy more heat, but that’s another kettle of fish.

Hope this helps,
      Cheers,
      Ricardo

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes! We are going to sprinkle some different cayenne or chili flakes on the burnt ends today, so I think that will work perfectly! Thank you so much for the detailed and thoughtful response.

Some most excellent advice, up above...

If (!) that don't elevate th Heat Level up to where ya want it, there's always good ol Ghost Peppers, Scorpions, an Reapers, that one might utilize.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I see we were thinking along the same lines!

Don't listen to these guys. You know you want some Carolina Reaper in the rub or sauce somewhere.... just saying!

These Carolina Reapers are the hottest chile pepper available to the public, and you can buy them at The Spice House! Handle these hot peppers with care.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Jus 'some' ????
        Seriously lol!
        Mornin, Sunshine!

Ghost Pepper flakes or Carolina Reaper flakes. They are hot, yes, but they also add a wonderfully smokey, slow-building heat. When used in moderation, they are fantastic!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, Buddy!
        Great fer ones circulation, as well

Seems to kinda git some molecules movin...good thing, in my assessment.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I know they would get ME moving Mr. Bones! I had a piece of reaper infused chocolate a year or so back, and spent about 10-15 minutes drinking water and pacing, unsure what to do with myself. I like heat, but it was at a level where you get a sense of not knowing what to do with ones self... almost physical panic sets in, as your body rebels against the heat!

• Ricardo
        Ricardo commented
        Editing a comment
        They sure are fantastic. I’ve got a little experiment going with one of my ghost pepper plants. It’s been in my garden for 2+ years and after every large crop, I’ve been giving it a significant pruning. By significant, I mean, just leaving a couple of leaves and letting it come back. It bounces back with amazing vigor. So far, it’s working. The trunk looks more like a little tree than a pepper plant. The flavor is awesome, but of course, used in moderation.

I’ve made spicy pork belly burnt ends by taking it in a vaguely Korean direction by making a sauce using gochujang, gochugaru and sriracha. But for brisket, I’d probably stick with making a spicy KC style sauce, amping it up cayenne, red pepper flakes and maybe some chipotle in adobo and some of your favorite hot sauce.

Comment

Wow. Thank you all for some great ideas! I don't think we are in the Carolina Reaper family yet, but I was hoping for more of a kick like the local giardiniera peppers, which we love.

Comment

I've done this with red pepper flakes, jalapenos and serranos. Had a kick but not so hot that pepper-shy people can't eat it. That said, next time I'm going to finely dice a habanero and see how much that kicks up the heat. From there I'll go to the Ghost and Scorpion peppers. I add the fresh peppers into the braising sauce I use towards the end of the cook: smoke 3-4 hours, braise 90 minutes on average. Braising liquid is butter, honey, Stubb's BBQ sauce, and the peppers and sometimes I add diced onions.I usually make 5 lbs at a time.
          Last edited by 58limited; April 19, 2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Take some a/some Moritas and or Ancho and rehydrate them is warm Dr. Pepper if that’s your go to liquid. Blend when soft and add into warm/simmering blues hog mixture you use then taste. Let cool and taste again.

If you want surface, in you face, up front palate heat then use hot sauces and the like.

For more depth of flavor start using chili’s and food you actually cook. This way you control the flavor and heat profile. This also establishes a baseline.

Use the index above to adjust your cooking ingredients, heat level and add ins. Perhaps other peppers and stocks rather then soda etc...

Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here