Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What beef Roast for Roast Beef Sandwiches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What beef Roast for Roast Beef Sandwiches?

I am originally from Western New York so to me the best sandwich ever created is the Beef on Weck.

I now live in central Ohio.

We normally go back to Western 4 or 5 times a yaer so I can get my "FIX!"

I haven't had a Beef on Weck in about 5 months and I need one bad.

The place where we go slow roasts their meat in ovens and then has them sitting at the carving stations through out the dining rooms.

The roast they hand carve the sandwiches from are probably about 1 foot in diameter and 8 inches high.

I have never asked them what type of roasts they use.

Any thought or suggestions on what I you think they are carving?

Thanks

Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	828ECA2B-D248-41B9-B315-93E99DDD5827.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	833494Click image for larger version

Name:	2C586A1E-10C0-42F6-9B41-70863ABD725D.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	833493 Here are some photos I found on the internet
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100670F6-2D21-4343-B568-9B6A1ECE6C6A.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	833492

Comment

Shoulder clod by the looks of it.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        looks like clod to me too.

Round or rump, also sirloin tip
      Last edited by Troutman; April 17, 2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Eye of round is predominantly used in western ny. Others use tenderloin or prime rib

Comment

That looks lime it might be the round section. Hard to tell though. Sirloin/tip is also rounding but has more sections. Hard to tell.

Comment

Philly cheesesteaks are prime rib. You can use round roast if you slice it thin enough.

Comment

If you have a SV and enough time, you can use pretty much any cut.

Comment

I agree with pkadare -I use a Sous Vide and use a 2kg eye fillet that has been rolled in a combination of black pepper, white pepper and salt - done for 5 hours at 56.5C or 133F. The meat is so tender you don’t know when you are biting through the bread and when you are biting through the meat!

Comment

That first pic looks like top round to me.

Comment

I typically use top round .... I follow Meathead’s recipe for pit beef.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here