Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid-19 Essential Shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid-19 Essential Shopping

Cargill, whose processing plant in Calgary and which accounts for 40% of the beef processed for the Canadian market is running at a reduced capacity due to sick workers so it looks like beef prices will go up sharply. Fortunately Foodland, one of the 2 grocery stores in our small little town is running a special on Canada AAA strip loins this week. Stopped in yesterday and talked to my friendly neighbourhood butcher at Foodland and ordered 12 of these beauties cut 2" thick. I think I'm the only one in town that really knows anything about meat and who asks for custom cuts all of the time. Can't blame them because the standard cuts they put out on the shelves sell, but I think they really like dealing with me. :-) All 12 are currently dry brining overnight, then vacuum seal and into the freezer. First warm day a couple of these are going on the grill!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200417_094116.jpg Views:	9 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	833408
    Last edited by pkadare; April 17, 2020, 08:46 AM.

Those look fantastic. I love a really thick steak, but I almost never get one. Even when I cut them myself, I tend to go for the extra steak or 2 @ 1.5". But I should definitely do them 2" the next time.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Just got back from the butchers. Found these nice looking bife anchos for about $1.50 lb, so bought 15 lbs of them along with a full rack of pork ribs, roast beef , pork shoulder and flank steak. About 25 kilos of meat. Freezer is lookin healthy. (Still have 1 1/2 boxes of chickens under the meat).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ahumadora; April 18, 2020, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Well, what butcher wouldn't like dealing with somebody who buys 12 2" thick steaks?

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            They also give me all of the free beef and pork fat I want. :-)

NO such luck over here in Miseryissauga.
          Its well over an hour or more to get into the local Walmart or Superstore and three times that to get out again.
          Metro is 10-15 mins for line ups only because of they're higher prices for most products and people won't/can't afford to shop there.
          Especially for beef, I don't even look anymore, its almost a choice between a new car or a round roast.
          Metro has one butcher that is extremely helpful if you want something cut, the other guys look at you like you have something growing out of your forehead.
          Picked up a pork shoulder and some chops on sale yesterday along with some other on sale items. No beef.
          Its weekday shopping here, the weekends are line up bedlam.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            pkadare ….trade ya....

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm good, thanks though. I've already done my time in Mississauga. :-)

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm, what can I throw in to sweeten the deal....
            All kidding aside I am envious.
            If you told me I had an hour to get packed and move there, I wouldn't need 54 of them.
            Stay safe.

Those look nice. I try to keep our freezer stocked with a full load of beef, pork, some lamb, sausage and fish. It is a 21 cubic ft upright and I keep it at -10. Had to restock some hamburger this week. No problem getting 5lbs of good chuck at Walmart.

Comment

90% of my protein comes from a small pasture raised farmer. I am hopeful this CV19 makes us rethink factory farms and processing. My poor farmer has to go many miles to process as many butchers went broke from industrial processing. USDA SUCKS!

Comment

That has cast iron written all over it for me. I couldn’t wait. You are a better man than me sir!

free fat.... nice!!

Comment

Just got the e-flyer for Sobey's which is part of the same chain as Foodland, though higher end and they have the same AAA strip loins on this week for $4 less a pound than the one's I picked up at Foodland. Placing an order for another dozen 2" this morning. :-)

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Read an article about that Cargill plant, more employee's tested positive and one employee death now.
                  From what I understood the plant has been closed temporarily.

• pkadare
                  pkadare commented
                  Editing a comment
                  smokin fool - Cargill has indeed been closed and there is another big one in Alberta, JBS that has an outbreak with one employee dead. Together, those 2 plants account for about 70% of the beef processed for the Canadian market. If you want beef from any where other than a local farm, now is the time to stock up.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here