Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine Brisket with Salt and then add Killer Hogs BBQ Rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine Brisket with Salt and then add Killer Hogs BBQ Rub?

Would it be overkill since the rub includes salt as well to do both the dry brining (kosher salt) and then add the rub before smoking? 16 pd brisket. Or do I just go light on the kosher salt and let the salt in the rub contribute? I don't want to oversalt. My sense is go light, but wanted to confirm.

My first thought is to simply apply the rub whenever you were going to apply the salt. I can't see any harm in that and the salt would still do what salt does. Of course if you want more salt than that would provide, figure out the rough difference. If the rub would give you, say, 1/4 tsp per pound and you want 1/2tsp per pound, dry brine with about 1/4 tsp/lb. Then immediately apply the rub and let the salt work.

Comment

• jerrybell
      jerrybell commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I would do.

Good question...
    Salt will penetrate the brisket fast. The rest of the ingredients in your rub won’t, they will essentially stay outside and will become part of your bark. I would go light on the first application of salt, if the rub is salty per se, you will end up with too much.
    Meathead has a recommend amount of salt. I believe it’s posted here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ul-wet-brining
    Cheers,
    Ricardo

Comment

Thanks guys. I will salt lightly about 20 or so ahead of going on the smoker, and then add the rub a few hours before.

Comment

I use Killer Hogs on pork all the time along with a regular salting with kosher. It wouldn't hurt you to add the recommended salt.

Comment

I tend to like things on the saltier side so I usually dry brine ahead of time and then add rub later. If I am using a particularly salty rub I might go a bit lighter on the salt during dry brining though. So I salt a day or two ahead of time and then add the rub right before cooking.

But for brisket I rarely use more than just pepper with the salt.

Comment

For brisket I don't use a rub just salt and pepper in a 50-50 mix. It is such a big piece of meat rubs don't add much flavor except to the very edge they are applied to,

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I though you were from pork territory, lol. Sometimes I go back to my roots and the good old damnation rub. I'm way heavier on the black pepper though. Ever tried a dirty dalmation rub?

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep texastweeter but I love my brisket also. Always pick up two or three prime one's if Sam's have there packers on sale when I'm there. No Costco's near me.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I have really worked on my brisket rub and have in just about dialed in. Very unique with a ton of depth that really let's the beef shine. But like I said sometimes I go back to my roots, and it never disappoints.

I would just go with the KiIler Hogs rub and skip the separate salt application. I always just put my rubs on the night before and let it buck. It also gives the rub more time to settle in on the surface of the meat. The salt will still penetrate. Brisket can be pretty resistant to over salting just because it is such a big. bold piece of meat.

I like to use salt, pepper, granulated garlic and granulated onion. I throw this all on the night before with no issues. I also use various commercial rubs too. It all work great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here