Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeyes with mustard butter and french fries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeyes with mustard butter and french fries

This is a French take on a ribeye. This recipe comes from a cookbook that I own that's up for a James Beard award this year. It's the most delicious ribeye I've ever eaten, and I thought I'd share it with you folks. This recipes serves two.

2 (8-ounce) ribeye steaks
    1/2 teaspoon hickory smoked salt
    1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
    1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
    Vegetable oil (to rub in your cast iron pan if not cooking on the grill)
    Freshly ground black pepper

Mustard Butter
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    1 generous teaspoon Dijon mustard

1. Pat the steaks dry and rub them with the salt, chipotle powder, and cilantro. Refrigerate the steaks, uncovered, for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
    2. To make the mustard butter, in a small bowl, mash together the butter with the dry mustard and the Dijon. Form it into two mounds and chill it on a plastic-wrap lined plate.
    3. Grill the steaks to your desired doneness. (I've even cooked them on my Lodge cast iron grill pan.....amazing)
    4. Remove the steaks from the grill. Top each steak with a knob of the mustard butter and some pepper and serve with a big pile of fries.

Fry recipe next.
    Last edited by Don Jr; May 16, 2015, 08:04 PM.

That does sound good. I like different flavor profiles from time to time. Salt and Pepper definitely does it for me for a ribeye. But in college, we got leftover Prime Rib and we would slather with mustard, and just broil in the oven to heat it up. We tore that stuff up. Course broke college kids will tear up anything.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you say "Hot Pockets!" [sung to the tune of the jingle.....]

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      For us it was Hamburger Helper. We once filled up two buggies full, and we piled so many on the conveyor at wal-mart, it shut down. The lady had to take a side panel off and put it in grandmaw to get it moving again. She asked we not do THAT again.

The first non-AR steak recipe I've seen in a while that doesn't call for letting the steaks come to room temp first. It does sound good. Mustard and beef are good buddies, but I must say I've never had it on a steak before that I can recall.

Comment

Here's the fry (frites) recipe that goes with the steak. When made together, you will not soon forget this meal. I never thought I could make french fries in the oven that were the best french fries I've ever had. These are them. Serves 4-6 so toss the leftovers with your eggs the next morning.

3 pounds russet potatoes
      4 tablespoons olive oil
      2 teaspoons sea salt
      Fresh herbs such as a big handful of sage leaves, a few sprigs of Rosemary or thyme, or a mixture of them

1. Peel the potatoes, leaving on a few strips of skin as you go. Cut the potatoes into 1/3 inch thick slices. Lay the slices onto a cutting board and slice them into 1/3 inch sticks. Put them in a very large bowl with very cold, lightly salted water, and let them soak for one hour.
      2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f.
      3. Drain the potatoes and lay them on a kitchen towel. Rub them with the towel to dry them very well. Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray. Place the potatoes on the baking sheets. Dribble the olive oil all over the potatoes and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Add the fresh herbs and mix everything together with your hands. Spread the potato sticks out in a single layer on each baking sheet.
      4. Bake for45-50 minutes, rotating pans from front to back and top to bottom midway during baking. As they bake, stir the fries several times so they cook evenly. Once the fries are golden brown and crispy, remove the pans from the oven and serve.

Garlic aioli for dipping
      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed through s garlic press
      1 teaspoon lemon juice
      1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

Make these with that steak above and you will be talking about dinner for days to come.
      Last edited by Don Jr; May 16, 2015, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks Don, now I am hungry for steak again, after stuffing myself with a fat ribeye less than 3 hours ago.

Comment

The rub doesn't seem like a lot but don't be tempted to use more until you try it once. It's very flavorful. The ribeyes I use for this are only about half and inch thick so it's a quick cook. I hope you give it a try and let me know how you like it.

Comment

I'm so going to give this recipe combo a try when we get back from vacay. It sounds amazing!

I hope I remember where to find it after two weeks of libations and sightseeing.

Kathryn

Comment

Bout to roll with this. Had already dry brined, so I did 1:1 chipotle and black pepper, and got a nice covering of freshly chopped cilantro. Put a little oil down to extract any fat soluble flavors.

Can't wait for that mustard butter topping.....
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; June 14, 2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

This sounds like a good idea for a Valentine's Day dinner for two. If we're snowed in, I may give it a try!

Kathryn

Comment

Sounds great, thanks for sharing. I've made several different types of compound butter (smoke some garlic next time you grill, soo good) but hadn't thought of mustard.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here