Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

once it’s corned beef but before it’s pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

once it’s corned beef but before it’s pastrami

i’m pulling the corned beef out of the brine tomorrow, but won’t be able to smoke it until the weekend. should i desalinate it when i pull it out or closer to the smoke? how best can i store it in the interim?

Doesn't matter when you desalinate. Storage wise, it's cured, so spoilage won't be an issue. I'd bag it or wrap it tightly and keep it in a cool part of the fridge. If you found out tomorrow that you couldn't smoke it for a couple of weeks, freeze it.

Comment

• fmrezler
      fmrezler commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks! i can’t begin to say how great this site is.

• cjmww
      cjmww commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi - 2 quick questions - First - making corned beef for first time. Put it in brine in brine AM of 4/9. Just took it out to desalinate. Smells great, not slimy, no sign of any mold or bubbles BUT meat is not slightest bit grey. Was expecting it would be. Second - i see sous vide for 36 hours for pastrami. Same for just corned beef? Thanks!!

Start desalination now. The rub and let sit on wire rack until smoke time. Have gone 5 days this way. Rub seems to stick better.

Comment

What he said 👆. DeSal and rub it. Let it hold in the fridge on a rack. Add some rub and smoke.

Comment

I desalinate for 8 hours. You really want to pull some of that salt out of the meat. Then once you do that, add the rub and let it sit for a couple of days if you can. That rub and the ensuing bark is absolutely fantastic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here