Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine Question on Chuckie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine Question on Chuckie

I am making my first attempt at QVQ with a Chuckie, a la Troutman . I dry brined yesterday and put in fridge overnight. Was going to smoke for 2 hours today and then SV this week for a final smoke next weekend.

However they are calling for torrential rains here today and 70 mile an hour winds. Can I leave to dry brine another day or so without fear of becoming too salty, or shall I just rinse it off today for tomorrow's smoke?

Thanks in advance.

You can just leave it be. Leaving it longer to dry brine isn't going to make it any saltier. I've dry brined for 48 to 72 hours in the past with no negative results. You're not adding any additional salt during that time period and it isn't like you rinse it off after the "traiditional" 24 hours anyway. No way for it to become saltier.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!

Pkadare is right. Only wet brines get saltier with more time, they let the meat pull more salt out of the solution. With dry brine, only the salt you add is the salt it will ever get. If you add it and cook immediately, the salt is mostly on the surface. If you let it sit a day, 2 days, or a week the salt you added remains the same it just goes deeper molecularly.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

Yes, you're good. Just leave it. Actually, with a chuckie (which is usually thick), another day is gonna be better.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!

Ditto

Comment

Good to go...

Comment

Have fun with this cook! I think these are great cooks, the process of researching, planning and then going with it! I guess that’s why we are all on this site - enjoy that type of stuff!

Comment

I've left them upwards of 5 days in the fridge before. They looked all dried out and leather tough on the outside....but were some of the best chuckies I've cooked!!!

Comment

• pjlstrat
            pjlstrat commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you

Thank you to everyone!! Great Advice!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here