Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a brisket refresher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a brisket refresher

Smoking a brisket for Easter. First one in a long time. 5lb prime flat, KBB, Oak chunks, Weber 26” with SnS, based on past cooker performance in expected weather conditions temp 235-240. No injection. Typically don’t wrap.

I know it’s done when it’s done. For general planning purposes do the brisket experts out there think allowing 12 hours is enough?

I don't claim to be an expert, but yes. That should be plenty of time. If it does manage to cut it close on time, just bump that temperature up after awhile in the stall to buy some time.

Comment

12 Hours should be enough time to cook it., I like to budget a few more hours just in case. You can be flexible because you are going to hold in a Faux Cambro after the cook.

Comment

Maybe yes, maybe no. Given that it's only 5 pounds (and I'm guessing rather thin) you should be alright with 12 hours, but that's not a given. A nasty stall could occur at the lower cooking temp. No wrapping is going to exacerbate that stall (if it occurs). For me, I'd consider a little higher temp (like 275*) and be prepared to wrap if you hit the wall.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on 275° cooker temp and wrapping after the bark is set. Preferably butcher paper.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. Cook at 275 and wrap when the bark is good.

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          +3

Your friends for speeding up are wrapping and higher temps. If you get done early, faux cambro. I threw a 9# on last night at 10 pm and it came off at 2 pm (wrapped for an hour), ran at 225 the whole time, now sitting in the cambro waiting for dinner.

Comment

Thanks for the reminders. I recall now that Aaron Franklin likes 275. Kettle coming up to temp now. Brisket awaiting its fate. Click image for larger version

Name:	4A95B9F2-6329-42F7-9659-80AC96EBF3F9.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	830283

Comment

All systems go. About to hit the stall, I think. SnS burning charcoal quickly, though. Been holding temp at 275-278 and 3.5 hours in I’ve had to get a half chimney of new coals ready.

Comment

That's my tried & true timing. The earlier your wrap the more time you could save. I wrap after the stall, 180 ish, and with a 1 hr-ish hold I'm typically at 12hrs. Just did a 5lb flat yesterday and it was 12 hrs total at 225-250.

Comment

Huskee Thanks! How are you? This must be an incredibly stressful time in your profession.

Comment

Weird cook so far. Bark formed nicely, hit stall at 148. Wrapped with foil and beef broth. Temps held 273-277. Came out of stall in about 2 hours and IT climbed to 175. 45 mins later It was reading 202! It was probe tender in the thin section but not elsewhere. I repositioned the probe and it read 182. Now seems to have hit a second stall at 185.

SnS has been burning charcoal at an unusual rate. 7 hours into the cook and I’ve added coals 3x and water 4x. Mild weather conditions. I’m using an original SnS with a 26” although I’ve done several rib cooks and it’s held one los for 7 hours.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't usually need to reload until ~8hrs, but to be fair I don't use the reg SnS in a 26, that will likely burn through it a bit faster, I use the reg in the 22 and XL in the 26. What are you using to verify cook temps, and is the probe a few inches from the meat? You shouldn't need to refill the water, especially once you're wrapped, but that won't hurt anything either. And I'm doing good thus far, thank you for asking above! Yes, it's a dicey time for my "day" job

Huskee Glad you are well. Using Maverick 50XR for temps. I am confident in the temps although think I may have been running a little hotter than I thought. Pulled brisket at 25 after 8 hrs. Been in cooler for about 90 minutes and at 167.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pics or it didn't happen!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	49DB223C-5CED-44AA-AC6D-0B31B3D6A067.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	830781Click image for larger version

Name:	27F56C71-A9C6-438A-B396-3DEC796F1D99.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	830782Ahumadora Oh, it happened. Prime flat, Dalmatian rub, KBB, Weber 26”+ SnS, oak chunks, mild weather. Wrapped with foil and broth at 148. Pulled at 205 and probe tender after 8hrs, held in cooler for 2 hours. Sliced at 150. Slightly dry on one end (no surprise for a flat) but the rest of it was moist. Great flavor, great texture/tenderness.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad you wrangled that brisket into shape and showed it who's boss!!

Looks like a win to me

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here