Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket fat side up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket fat side up or down?

Hello fellow pit members. I am curious to see who cooks their briskets fat side up and who cooks theirs fat side down. Does it make a difference one way or another? I’m sure this topic has been covered in the past so I apologize for the repeat.

I cook point up, fat down .... but I also trim the ever loving heck out of my briskets, so there’s not much fat cap anyway. :-)

Comment

• fracmeister
      fracmeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Over time I am trimming less and less....

I go fat cap down in my kamado where the heat radiates from below.

Comment

• ClubMed
      ClubMed commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually do this too on my Big Joe, but at times I haven't paid attention to it and I'm not sure it's made a difference.

It depends on the type of cooker you are using, the direction of airflow and where the heat source is located. In my vertical cabinet style smoker, I always went fat cap down, but I don't see that it makes much difference in a kettle.

Comment

Some claim fat cap up helps rendered grease from the fat cap to permeate into the meat. Since meat is largely little sacks of water, we all know that water and grease don’t mix, therefore it’s unlikely that’s of benefit.

Basically it’s of advantage as a buffer from the heat source, therefore turn it toward that for best affect.

Comment

• SullysSassySauce
        SullysSassySauce commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for clarifying this for me. I appreciate it.

Fat cap down here.

Comment

I trim the cap to about 1/4" and place it fat cap down.

Comment

I always put the fattier portion facing towards my heat source. So to your question, if heat is below, fat cap down.

Comment

Mine stays about 1/2" thick since to my family that salty smokey jelly fat is a prize, and like mentioned above by others I place it toward the direction of the most heat which changes depending on cooker. Stick burner, down since the heat come from below. Kettle w/ SnS, up since more heat is above. Etc.

Comment

• Smoking77
              Smoking77 commented
              Editing a comment
              ecowper Sorry, I'm a little confused. If you put the fat down, doesn't that mean the point is down?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Smoking77 Good points, I humbly stand corrected

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Smoking77 hah ... yes and I goofed.

When smoking brisket on my kettle with the SnS, I know it is hotter higher in the dome, so I always put the fat cap UP for both butts and brisket. On my offset, I don't think it has near the vertical gradient of the kettle, so probably doesn't matter so much there, and I might put fat cap down, especially towards the end with the firebox.

Comment

Fat down.

Comment

Fat to the left. Or was it Fat to the right..? Stick the FAT in and shake it all about. Anyways its hanging in the PBC!
                Last edited by HawkerXP; April 12, 2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So do you hang the fat this direction or that direction??

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Huskee Just like the Hokey Pokey.

I usually cook mine fat cap down. I like to leave about 1/4 of fat cap on my briskets.

Comment

I cook on a Kamado with fat side down.

Comment

Definitely DOWN for me. Just don't see the logic on up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here