Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking my idea for chuck roast on BGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking my idea for chuck roast on BGE

I was going to do a brisket this weekend, but I looked in the freezer and I still have two chuck roasts in there, and, well, they're not going to smoke themselves, are they.

I'm going to thaw them starting today, then Saturday evening dry brine, and on Sunday rub them and then put them on the egg @ 225-250 to an internal of 170, then wrap with foil to an internal of 205. Based on others' posts, I'm guessing 7 hours total.

I suppose then I should pull the beef and serve with mushrooms, peppers, onions and cheese on rolls? That's what it looks like everyone is doing. Since there are two roasts, I might do one that way and the other I might sauce up a bit for bbq beef sandwiches.

Mosca I've never done a chuck roast so I can't help there. I was wondering if you use a temp controller on your BGE? If so, what kind?

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead, I use a DigiQ DX2 for anything that is overnight, but for daytime I use a Maverick 732. I've had my BGE for 5 years or so, I know where to set the vents and when. At initial start I get it up to about 400 to get the fire even across the box, then clamp down the vents to just a crack, like 1/16". It stabilizes in the mid 200s and stays there unless I change something. If you wait too long to lower the vents the fire gets too hot, the ceramic heats up, and you'll have one heck of a time waiting for everything to get down to low-n-slow temps.

One very useful gadget I picked up is called a PS Woo Ring. It is a frame that you set the platesetter and grate into, which has handles. You can set the assembly in to warming firebox, then remove it to add wood. The advantage is that you can warm everything evenly, then add wood for smoke right before putting on your meat.

Sounds good, not sure on the time as a weight isn't listed, but I guess they don't vary that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
      I suppose then I should pull the beef and serve with mushrooms, peppers, onions and cheese on rolls? That's what it looks like everyone is doing. Since there are two roasts, I might do one that way and the other I might sauce up a bit for bbq beef sandwiches.
      It's a good way to enjoy chuck roast and it happens to be what I am doing over Memorial Day weekend. I am going to saute the peppers, onions and mushrooms throw them into a tin with the pulled beef add a little sauce, cover with foil and cook at 200 for 20 minutes or so. This is just so everything can marry. I am going to toast one side of the bread which will be on the inside. This will help it maintain structure as the bread absorbs juices from the pulled beef. Maybe slather a little bit of brown mustard on one slice of bread with a mellow cheese, like provolone. I am thinking grilled corn and cole slaw to accompany it. Maybe some drunken beans.

Or you could slice it, serve it with a little concentrated sauce, Russian slaw, smoked gouda and provolone.

Note: The chuck roast will be cooked low and slow in the 14.5 WSM.
      Last edited by JeffJ; May 15, 2015, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I did one similarly two who's ago at 225°. I cooked it for three hours and then wrapped it with beef broth, Stubbs BBQ sauce and sliced onions an cooked for another three hours until the internal temp reached hundred degrees. Came out quite good ate some and froze the rest. Like the Woo 2, also.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here