Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At it again.....this time Nice Fillets on Weber Jumbo Joe and could use a few recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At it again.....this time Nice Fillets on Weber Jumbo Joe and could use a few recommendations

I have been grilling steaks for years on gas grill and my charcoal smoking experience is primarily with longer cooks. This time I plan to set Jumbo Joe up for indirect cooking using SnS charcoal basket. Smoke first then reverse sear, hoping to complete at medium rare, around 135*. These are approx 1.5 to 2.0 " thick. I think they are thick enough to smoke, or should I just grill them? If grilling on Jumbo Joe, I am wondering how many hot coals to dump into the kettle. I have smoked on it more than grilled.

If smoking, approx how long will these take? I will use digital thermometer, but need a time estimate as wife cooks sides, and if I get meat ready sooner than she is ready.........well I like my steak hot and I don't think these would faux cambro as well as say a pork butt.

Any comments welcome and thanks!

I’ve been front seating more and more and having great results using leave in probes. I find that when I reverse sear it is more hot or miss at the end. Take it for what its worth, but it’s coming from someone who still smokes at 225.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      So do you mean that you sear first based on a nice bark, then take up to finishing temp smoking? That is how I always grilled until learning about reverse sear, which I had a lot of trouble with at first, but seem to be getting more consistent with.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Sear first. I flip every 30 sec to 1 min, and since it's normally just the two of us, I use the Weber chimney for the sear. Sear 'till you like the bark, then into the Kettle at between 225°and 250° until I reach my target temp using a leave in probe. We like 140°, so that's when I pull them - there is very little carry over cookin' when cooked at low temps, and we don't hold them anyway.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct. I cut my steaks to 2 inches now. I generally sear about 1 minute, flip, then repeat the process one more time. I know I’m not cooking at 225 afterwards, but cooking in indirect heat makes it easy to stop close to where you want to be. I don’t think you can get away with this with thinner cuts though.

No pics?

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven't started yet. Steaks are in refrigerator.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Right, but it's hard to comment on what will or won't work with steaks we can't see. Pics of the raw steaks would help.

I am not a steak guy, but I do have a Jumbo Joe and slow and sear. Hear are my thoughts. Half fill the SNS with charcoal and start the charcoal in two spots. The put some wood on the two spots with the steaks on the cool side. By the time the steaks are up to the temp you want to start searing the charcoal should be hot for searing.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never tried starting SnS in two places, always starting one side and letting it snake around. Sounds like your recommendation would get pit hot quicker to be ready to sear, after what might be a rather short smoke session........is this your point or am I missing the reason? Thanks for comments!

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Alabama Smoke I was just looking for a way to bring your steak up to searing temp at the same time the coals would be ready for searing while adding some smoke. Your way would work, but I would be afraid that the steak might get up to searing temp before the coals were at searing temp or the beginning of the snake might be burned out when you were ready to sear.

LA Pork Butt I see. I may give that a try. I smoked two pork chops a few days ago at approx 234*. Took about 50 minutes til time to sear and they turned out great. Wonder how long the steaks would take compared to the chops...........less time because of lower finish temp on steak, but I wonder how they would compare as beef vs pork on time.................

Comment

Def thick enough to reverse sear/smoke and that’s how I prefer to cook thick steaks. I don’t know how you could have trouble with final temp this way as it’s much more forgiving than cooking over direct heat. I find the doneness better, flavor better and sear better by reverse searing

Take it to 10 deg short of doneness and then sear for ~2 min flipping every thirty seconds. If you are worried about having enough hot coals for the sear you can always pull the steaks off the grill and rest for 10 min while you add a few more coals and let them fire up.
      Last edited by shify; April 5, 2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Google cold grate technique it is by sns grills, the guys that make the sns. I do this when I grill thick steaks now. They come out pretty perfect.

Comment

Jumbo Joe, full on basket of charcoal, 2 zones, cold/hot, start on cold side first, 1small chunk your favorite wood, temp them often/continuously until about 120*, then reverse sear by spinning the grate alternating between cold and hot flipping each time for 1 minute each until desired sear and internal temp at your 135* mark. Easy peezy.

Comment

Cook came off pretty good. Forgot to take pics but the steaks were good. Thanks to all of you who contributed. I appreciate all of you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here