Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Gotta GO!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Gotta GO!!!!!

In all my live long days, ain't never tried this, would greatly appreciate yalls experience in makin this first try as successful as possible:

In my deep freeze, I have a 19.2 ~ish lb. choice brisky, frozen solid as a rock, stiffer than most hardwood boards could ever dream of achievin. I'll git a pic, to prove it's happenin, but right now, down to th business at hand.

Never have cooked one from frozen...

This ginormous hunka beef needs to go away, pronto.

It's monopolizin deep freeze space that I wish to fill up with stuff on sale at present, an I haven't icebox space to spare, to thaw this big ol honker out.

Did I mention, it's large? On accounta, it is...

Tell me what, if anything, has worked fer yall, previous....

Thanks in advance!

Be safe an well, yall!

Sláinte!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 4, 2020, 07:52 PM.

Pour yourself another drink and slap that baby on the pit frozen. You may have to wipe some cooking oil on it to make the rub stick. It will cook up just fine.. I have cooked brisket from frozen with no problems.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Brother, that's my plan. Really all I can do, save bin it. I've cooked lotsa smaller proteins from frozen, chuckies, 8# pork butts, various asundry yardbird, etc. but I'm thinkin this brisky is gonna be a marathon cook; it would be, even thawed...not lookin fer a way to speed th process, cause it'll take as long as it takes...jus want some viable food to come from efforts applied...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 4, 2020, 09:32 PM.

@Mr.Bones - I saw a thing on a video by Kenji that talked about thawing a hunk of meet more quickly by putting it on an aluminum pan. Aluminum, as you know, is a good conductor of heat and allows for rapid thawing. I use a jelly roll plan that I put on a small trivet to allow air to flow all the way around the meat and the pan. I have put a brisket on the pan and it is thawed in 8 hours or so. You could slap it on just before bed and get up early in am to check on it.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the cook! Supposed to be windy so maybe I’ll catch a whiff as it cooks!

Sweaty

Comment

2100 hrs, that monster's comin outta freezer, goin into hopefully some degree of thaw mode, in my walk in fridge, aka garage. current draussenkalt ist 43°F, overnight predictions 36° , so foodsafe, fer a well below 0°. protein
      It'll gimme at least enough head start to git some sweat, make th rub stick, I'd reckon. If that ain't so, I go with th pro tips from Ahumadora, use a binder of some sort....
      Git-R-Done....
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 6, 2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Franks hot sauce is what I usually use to make the rub stick. Doesn't really impart flavor but helps the salt and pepper to stick.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        @JoeSouza Franks? No shortage here, thanks fer th idea/tip! Really appreciate it, amigo!
        Never have previous used any binder, jus relied on th moistire from th meat. This might well be a different scenario, an require new techniques, yers is graven 'pon my mind, fer reference!

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but when I was in College I had a course in Thermodynamics. Bear with me as I have killed a lot of brain cells since then. From what I remember, it takes far fewer BTU's to warm something up rather than it does to freeze. As heat always flows from a warmer to a cooler substance. Therefore low and slow is your friend. I would say start at 180° for several hours and then increase to 225° for a while and then 250° until you need to crutch. Just my .02.

Its not like you don't have the right smoker for the job....I might even say start in that little red electric one and then transfer to one of your other bad boys to finish.
      Last edited by troymeister; April 4, 2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        All extremely good, an helpful points, Brother, an many thanks, once again...please, keep em comin, as they occur to ya. Jus saw yer edited above; yeah, reckon I gots cookers up to makin this happen, no prob...my onliest question was, an is: do I have th skillz to make this here work? New thang, never tried this... It'll be fun, love a challenge.
        Usedta tell my (then very young) Son, whenever we went out Street Racin: "Don't worry awful too much, Honey!; She'll either GO, or she'll BLOW!"
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 4, 2020, 09:10 PM.

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course you have the Skillz Bones....You're on AR....Lesson 1...Low and slow..Lesson 2...low and slow...so on and so on...LOL....You'll be fine!

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        "In theory a gigantic Sous Vide would be ideal but probably not practical."

Reminds me of this...
        In theory, there is no difference between practice & theory. In practice, there is.

Great thread, brother! I am in almost the EXACT same situation as I have a large brisky that is both taking up space AND frozen hard enough to cut diamond. I’ve been thinking of performing this same cook and I am seriously looking forward to your results and any lessons learned! Reaper 13 remaining in high orbit with eyes on........

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Feel ya there, Reaper 13, Tango Yankee, cain't tell ya how da(ng) good dat makes us feel, here, boots on th ground!

Let's us jus do this here, huh? Git that thang out, an let's roll, Brotherman!

Reckon there's not a selectable >>FAIL<< option, visible in yer HUD, is there?

Yeah, mine, neither!!!!!

Mine began 'decryops', as of 2100 hrs...not gonna be thawed, but mebbe I can git a lil trim on it, some rub slapped on...

FB Bonedaddy, FWD, standin by...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 6, 2020, 12:57 PM.

Maybe use a blowtorch to warm up the surface enough to make the rub stick enough. Also may be able to trim where you need to first.

I’d also consider just salting it and cooking until it’s more thawed, then apply the rub. Kosher salt flakes should adhere okay and will help thaw the surface. If it’s so hard that the salt won’t stick I’d salt the top side, wait until it sinks in a bit. The. Flip and salt the other side.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate it, arrows in my quiver!!!
        Many Thanks!

Submitted Fer Yall Folks' Approval:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	TZ Submitted 001.jpg Views:	3 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	826160
      A sad, lonely, elderly man, isolated in a windswept existence, on th Prairie...

Wantin to help out his less fortunate neighbours, in a time of great need...famine? plague? drought? makes no difference to him, as his mission remains th same as always, lifelong: Feed Th Needy is his Battle Cry...
      BUT: Faced with th prospect of solid frozen beef, he turns to th cosmos, fer some answers...

Although he's not aware of, jus right yet;

On this particular day, on this particular cook;

He'll be cookin in Th Twilight Zone...

His target, an source of dismay, an perhaps even consternation; a seeminly placid, an inert 19.2 lb. beef brisket...
      a mere frozen hunk of meat, yet more than enough to bring a cold sweat, an chills to him, even in thawed form...
      Ladies an Gentlemen, I give ya: "Th 19.2 lb Brisket">cue theme music,
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200404_210434 (Custom).jpg Views:	4 Size:	465.3 KB ID:	826161
      Yet, given his previous experience, cookin such from fully frozen, an intrepidity, our hapless hero ventures on, blindly, unknowinly, down a path he'll never forget, if, indeed, he returns...
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200404_210500 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	513.4 KB ID:	826168
      64 oz. apple juice, 32 oz. gatorade shown above^^^, fer size comparison.
      Yeah.
      I'll jus plop dat on my 22.5 Weber kettle, bide me time.
      Or.
      NOT.
      Camera angle sux, but a good, solid 6" tall, in present, 99,99% immutable configuration.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200404_210535 (Custom).jpg Views:	72 Size:	469.5 KB ID:	826172
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200404_210628 (Custom).jpg Views:	74 Size:	513.1 KB ID:	826173
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 6, 2020, 01:01 PM. Reason: Ficksed sum tipoes, an grammers :-)

Comment

Never cooked one from frozen, watching with Chief tablet and no2 at the ready.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll try an do TX proud, My Brother!!!!
          Hep me out, ya git any wild ideals, an such!
          Figgerin worst case: 50% usable yield....
          Still end up with ~10 lb. delicious brisky!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 4, 2020, 10:49 PM.

You got this, Bonesy!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Many Thanks fer th backup, an affirmation, Brother
          Much appreciated/needed, in this endeavour!

If I come out with 50% satisfactory yield, given th circumstances, I'll be both surprised, an totally cool wit dat.
          Rest can make stock, imo.

Jus sayin. Waste Not, Want Not. Ain't that right there what we'uns was raised, growin up lol?
          Really preciate it, Brother; really Means Th World, an then some, comin from yerself, Mike....
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 5, 2020, 03:12 PM. Reason: Ficksed my tipoes :-)

You got time to give the bagged brisket a water bath to speed the thawing? I be you get one hail of a smoke ring if you cook her frozen. I have a 14lber and a 17lber going right now for dinner delivery.

Comment

Not under production time constraints, only food safety constraints (more important to me, of course)
          I gots me x window of time where I can utilize my motor garage as a walk-in fridge, an then it's irrevocably Go Time, no Do-Overs, no fridge room to try an make amends, buy some time...

Make it happen, or bin it.'That, right there', is th ledge I'm alla teeterin on, droppin tiny pebbles into th water...Way th Hail down yonder, underneath this here Railroad Bridge, keenly noticin how very shallow th water looks, an how rocky th riverbed, also keenly aware of th altitude, unlike, let's jus say, when I was a young'un, an woulda (did) jump(ed)...
          I definitely heal slower, nowadays, leave us safely say.
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 5, 2020, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
            I definitely heal slower, nowadays, leave us safely say.
            Don’t we all, my friend 🙄 ...

Comment

Let this be a lesson, y'all. Season that hunk of meat prior to freezing, and you're golden when it comes time to cook it. Cooking time is only slightly longer, if at all.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely sound advice, an I would reinforce that thought 157.3%
                This one, though, was factory cryopacked.
                Since I likeys to wet age mine, I've never felt compelled to comprimise th integrity of my own cryos
                Once they's open, why, It's On, then! .
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 5, 2020, 01:54 AM.

I usually just take it out of the freezer and put it on a pan and stick it in the Fridge... takes a few days to thaw, but I have never been in a rush.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too, Brother...
                But, given th current situation, my fridge is packed so tight I literally cain't even direckly see th light bulb...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here