Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed with brisket please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats! Looks great!

Comment

Awwww, thank you for the compliment, JustinT

I feel like a proud Mama, watching you do such a great cook. It's so beautiful! Gosh what a smoke ring! I know smoke rings are the fluff of the BBQ world, but I'm still taken by them. Every.Single.Time.

I was happy to have been awake in the middle of the night, read your first post, and could help, even if only a little.

I could have mentioned that my oven swings between 150 to 190° also. For that reason, I stick the handle of a spatula in the door and let it ride. That keeps the ambient max temp of the oven below 170°, which is where I like it.

BTW almost every single suggestion I made is in Meathead's hallmark article on smoking brisket, which you can find here. It's where I started way back in the day.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; April 5, 2020, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• JustinT
        JustinT commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha thank you mama, and yes it is beautiful I love seeing a nice deep smoke ring there is nothing better.

I can’t wait to go again with this just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

I have read meatheads article on this a couple of times but sometimes you just want someone to confirm things as you get your head around it :-)

And who better to guide me than you awesome people 😊 I can’t thank you enough.

Here’s to many more briskets in the future 🍺🍖

Good looking brisket Sir.
      Congrats and well played.

Comment

Really nice looking brisket!! I can't remember my early briskets (selective internal editing) but I'm certain they weren't like that.

Comment

Great looking brisket .... nicely done. And you got some of the best advice, too :-) As fzxdoc says, read Meathead’s article on brisket. Then go to Youtube and find Aaron Franklin’s 3 videos on brisket. Then do apply what you’ve learned. Between those 2, you are dealing with the greatest brisket cooks I know.

PS I like Aaron Franklin’s "secret rub" for brisket, personally. Equal parts kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, and granulated garlic. I find that, plus the smoke, gives me a fantastic bark, just spicy enough, not over the top.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I’d also highly recommend Franklin’s book, A Meat Smoking Manifesto ..... focused on turkey breast, ribs, and brisket. Can’t go wrong. Enjoy!

• JustinT
            JustinT commented
            Editing a comment
            I will check out his book with this rub would you still dry brine or skip this step I assume doing both would make it too salty ?

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            JustinT I still dry brine and then add the pepper and garlic right before I put on the smoker. I like the impact of dry brining and I like the simplicity of the rub, so I combined them :-)

Originally posted by JustinT View Post
          Thank you so much for your help Kathryn it has been much appreciated I took my brisket off around two hours ago now and have had it in the warmer above my oven as my oven even on the lowest setting was increasing the brisket temp when it was at around 194F.

It’s currently at around 184F and I’m thinking about serving in around half an hour or so what do you usually do with leftovers do you re wrap it in the same foil with the juices or move to some new foil and leave to cool before chilling.
          JustinT , I wrap the brisket in plastic wrap to store overnight for the next meal. I'm a bit leery of storing BBQ with rubs in aluminum foil for fear it will eat its way through, although that usually only happens with acidic foods. Even so, better safe than sorry I think. I store the uneaten portion of the brisket away in the coldest part of the fridge to chill as quickly as possible, so it doesn't stay in the unsafe temperature zone (40° to 140°F) for too long.

For leftover brisket, you can make a delicious chili with it using Malcolm Reed's recipe:
          https://howtobbqright.com/2017/11/02...-chili-recipe/ . It's also great in sandwiches, tacos, etc. Many people chop the drier parts of the brisket and mix with au jus or sauce for chopped beef sandwiches, which are delicious.

Congrats again on doing such a great job with your brisket. It's picture perfect, and I bet it tastes delicious. Kudos to you!

Kathryn

Comment

Looks nice. I never trim the fat as much as this one has so I rarely get that smoke ring on the bottom. Looks nice

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here