Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed with brisket please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed with brisket please

I need some advice I am cooking some brisket tomorrow it’s only the second time I have attempted it, it has come from the butchers rolled it’s around 3.7 pounds and I currently have it dry brining do I cook it rolled or open it up and cook it flat ? I assume this would reduce cooking time and give more surface area to take on flavor ?
    Attached Files

Open it up! More bark...and more surface area for smokey goodness to adhere to 😏😏

Comment

Agree, lay that sucker flat. And don't trim too much fat cap from the fat cap side! Even a small brisket can still take 10-12hrs. Plan accordingly.

Comment

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 to this!

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

I’d do it open as a flat.

Comment

You may find it cooks more evenly rolled, but you're taking it way past well done anyway, so flatten it.

Comment

Lay it flat and wrap soon as it has the color you want with foil.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree, with a tiny brisket like this wrapping is key.

Flat.

Comment

Agreed! As said, allow more time than you think it'll take.

Comment

Thanks all for your advice I will get it unrolled starting a little later than planned couldn’t drag myself out of bed, would you bother doing a Texas cruch on this at 160 or just try and cook through it ?

Comment

To crutch or not depends on how big a hurry you're in. You may want to wait to crutch when it reaches 170° to 180° when the bark is set more to your liking. That's my preference with briskets.

Kathryn

Comment

• JustinT
                  JustinT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome thank you so if it was to crutch at 150-170 would you then unwrap at some point to re firm up the bark ? And once it’s hot around 203 and is lovely and wobbly tender would you then rest it ? And if so do you do this wrapped or just on a block/plate ?

Let the bark be your guide for when to crutch. And yes, crutch.

Comment

• JustinT
                  JustinT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome thank you so if it was to crutch at 150-170 would you then unwrap at some point to re firm up the bark ? And once it’s hot around 203 and is lovely and wobbly tender would you then rest it ? And if so do you do this wrapped or just on a block/plate ?

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  JustinT depends. Are you wrapping with paper or foil?

And currently I have had my brisket on for around 2 and a half hours my temp is around 230 and my brisket has gone from 50F to 128F already does this seem a little too quick ? It’s not the thickest piece now I have flattened it.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seems fine to me..Make sure the thick part is facing the heat.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks good. The temp rise will most likely slow when it hits 140 to 150° or so. Just let it ride and enjoy the cook.

Kathryn

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Like Ahumadora said, thick part and fat cap towards the heat.

Justin, after you wrap at 170 to 180° depending on when the bark looks good to you, leave it wrapped until it's nice and probe tender. Leave it wrapped and put it into an oven at the lowest setting, no higher than 170° for 2 to 3 hours to let it finish up. This step is called faux-cambro, and is quite often agreed to be an essential step in making a brisket.

Instead of an oven, you can store it in an insulated cooler that you've warmed up with hot tap water. When the foil-wrapped meat is ready to go in, dump out the water. Wrap the meat in large towels that you've warmed up in the dryer. (I just saw that warm towel tip here on the Pit yesterday, thanks to Hulagn1971 ). Place the foil-wrapped meat and towels in the insulated cooler, carefully insert the probe so as not to pierce the underside of the foil, and leave it there for 2-3 hours. As long as the meat stays hotter than 140°, it will be safe. Most people say their meat stays much hotter than that during this step.

After the 2-3 hours in the cambro, open the meat and slice only what you will be serving for that meal. Don't slice the whole brisket or it will have a tendency to dry out.

I don't re-firm the bark. When pulled and wrapped at 170-180° it stays pretty firm throughout the rest of the cook and the faux-cambro step. You can be the judge of that when you unwrap it after the faux-cambro step.

Have fun with your cook. Let us know how it turns out.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; April 5, 2020, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• JustinT
                  JustinT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you so much for your help Kathryn it has been much appreciated I took my brisket off around two hours ago now and have had it in the warmer above my oven as my oven even on the lowest setting was increasing the brisket temp when it was at around 194F.

It’s currently at around 184F and I’m thinking about serving in around half an hour or so what do you usually do with leftovers do you re wrap it in the same foil with the juices or move to some new foil and leave to cool before chilling.

fzxdoc I just want to say a big thank you to you all especially Kathryn, with your help I have managed to successfully cook my first edible brisket and it’s perfect thank you pics below 😊😊😊 amazingly happy right now.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by JustinT; April 5, 2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• RickyBobby
                  RickyBobby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well done! Beautiful smoke ring, too! I’d certainly eat that!

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gosh, that's gorgeous.

Kathryn

• pjlstrat
                  pjlstrat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nailed it...Killer Smoke ring!

That's beautiful, congratulations! You took very good advice and followed it well. I remember my first edible brisket, it was my third attempt.

Comment

• JustinT
                  JustinT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This was my second but have done a fair few runs with pork butt still can’t believe how well it turned out may change the rub a bit next time and time back the spice level a little

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here