Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25 lbs of chuck... now what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE Humble Texan
    commented on 's reply
    I'm have to stop reading this at work and only read on the weekend. When I read at lunch the front of my shirt gets wet. (: (;

• rickgregory
    replied
    Think about how you eat and how many people you have. Then portion it out - some to ground chuck, some to smoked, etc. I tried SVQ (Sous Vide then smoke) the other week and it's a great technique not only for immediate eating but for slicing and use in sandwiches.

Short version - season chuck, SV for ~24-36 hours at ~130-140 depending on the doneness you want. Remove from SV bath, shock cold and either refrigerate or smoke right away after applying your fave rub (remember you seasoned pre-SV) to the temp at which you SVed.

for sandwiches, you're left with med-rare to medium, sliceable meat that stays together and is still tender and tasty.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Hey, it’s guaranteed, what more do ya want. Hunnert percent even!

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    replied
    Chop it into 3 or so chunks smoke it to med rare. Cool then slice thinly and bag (small portions) for freezer. Then you toss it in a pan for a quick sear and make roast beef sammys with cheese n onion.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    In Texas they call it a clod. Cook it at 225 like a pork butt. I like the cold better than brisket.

Leave a comment:

• tenphases
    replied
    Time for the vac seal or diy vac seal bags. That can last awhile, good eats.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    shoulder clod. If we went under quarantine, I would say cook like brisket and throw a party. I have done a few, come out fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    Chunk some and make chili or burnt ends. Shred it and make ropa vieja or beef ragu. Stroganoff. Lots of options. I've done all of these.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    I'd keerfully portion it out, use th portions fer various thangs...

That's only like 6 servins, here in Th Pit lol!

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    Now we party.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Little pulled-chuck wouldn't hurt.

Leave a comment:

• radshop
    started a topic 25 lbs of chuck... now what

25 lbs of chuck... now what

I ventured to Smart & Final hoping to pick up a couple pounds of chuck to grind for burgers. Walked out with a 25 pound choice chuck roll.

The obvious for me is lots of burgers, sausage, and stew meat.

What else should I be thinking about doing with it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	824813

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here