Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Frozen Steaks - Dry Brine Frozen Meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Frozen Steaks - Dry Brine Frozen Meat?

I was given a sous vide for Christmas and have used it several times with great results. Love the tips on this site to make that happen. I found a couple of strip steaks in the freezer that my wife bought. My idea is that I pull them out of the zip lock, dry brine them with salt, seal them in a vac bag and throw them back in the freezer for a meal next week. Can a frozen steak be dry brined and get the desired results or should I just sous vide them and season afterwards? Thanks everyone!

The salt won't absorb into the frozen meat. What I'd do when you want them is to either open the ziplock, salt them and then SV them or simply season them after cooking since you want to sear them anyway.

If you know you want to SV steaks going forward you can salt them, let them sit in the fridge overnight so they absorb the salt, seal and then freeze.

Comment

Thanks for the quick input! I figured that might be the case. I have two steaks in that zip lock, so I will separate them and try both methods and see if we can tell a difference. Thanks again!

Comment

Did a frozen 1.25 inch rib eye tonight. SV 2.5 hours, straight to the hot grill, peppered with my favorite rub, turn once flip turn again, tonight grate temp was 700 on grill grate's so total time was 6 minute's , splash on some good quality butter. another dash of rub. cook to 140, let it rest 5 minute's, best steak you'll ever eat. I'm not a fan of dry brine. Here is my rub, celery salt, garlic salt, pepper, onion salt. Don't go over board on the rub. Like ya do on ribs, or butts.
        Last edited by randy56; April 2, 2020, 07:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to say I SV to 130.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, I did the same thing - bone in ribeyes from frozen at 131 for 3 hours, Montreal seasoning, seared on the griddle. Forgot to baste with butter, but they were excellent.

Salt on the meat right before sous vide gives one salty juice. Not that I have ever experienced that.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Uhhh. 😬
          Next question please. 😂

Sounds great! I'll try that combo if I don't brine while in the sous vide. I like to flip my grill grates to get the sear I am looking for. I haven't tried butter with our steaks yet. I've had great reviews from the family so far, so I can't believe a little butter won't make it better. Thanks!!

Comment

I've never been completely convinced that dry brining (or wet brining for pork and chicken) are advantageous with the sous vide-then-sear method. I haven't seen anything definitive one way or another, that is, with the type of rigorous testing that Dr. Blonder, Meathead, or Kenji routinely perform.

For that reason, I sous vide almost everything (small like steaks, chops, chicken parts) without any seasoning and then add it before the sear. That way, should I choose to use the purge, I can season it according to our tastes. The exception is when I QVQ--the dry brine or salty rub go on 24 to 48 hours before the first smoking step. For that method, I test the purge to see if it's not too salty to be used. Usually it's a bit salty but still usable in a sauce served on the side.

One of these days I hope to come across a definitive article on the subject. If any of you know of one, please enlighten me!

Thanks,
          Kathryn

Comment

Those of you that use the purge, please tell us a little more how you use it as a sauce for the finished protein. I really like to SV Tri Tip, Boneless Pork Chops, and Chicken Breasts. Thanks in advance.
            Last edited by Skip; April 3, 2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Skip , I don't get a lot of purge from the smaller pieces, but I still try to use whatever I get to add flavor. I get a ton of purge from QVQing large pieces of meat. For some really good info, go to Potkettleblack 's topic on Purge here on The Pit. It's quite informative.

Mostly, I microwave it in a small bowl for about 30 seconds to get the myoglobin/albumin to clump, filter, and use the filtrate for a base for sauce or gravy. If there's not enough to make a sauce, I still pour it over the meat or add what's there to another sauce or gravy that I've got in the works.

HTH,
              Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here