Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket point vs flat...........which is better for smoking in my PBC and why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Drooooool....

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    Wow !!! Looks almost as good as something Huskee would make . You have some sharp photography skills...

• Troutman
    replied
    Well whatever you end up deciding to do and have done did it, make yourself one of these dandy little numbers

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rueben 2-19.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	824565

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    You may have just invented a new recipe for the AR website. Stuck at home? nows a good time to make pastrami and bacon.

• rickgregory
    replied
    Just to make sure we're all on the same page:

Corned beef is brisket (usually) 'corned' i.e. cured in a brine. Traditionally, it's boiled which desalinates it some.

Pastrami is corned beef that's desalinated in cold water and then covered in black pepper and coriander seed and smoked.

if you have store-bought corned beef all you really need to do is desalinate, cover in rub and smoke. The point will be fattier and the flat less so. I prefer the flat for sandwiches myself but that's a matter of taste. You'll want to steam before serving pastrami that's been smoked and refrigerated otherwise it's a little dry and tougher (speaking of the stuff from the flat).
    Last edited by rickgregory; April 2, 2020, 02:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Alabama Smoke Cont'd: Add Meathead's pastrami rub, no salt like Ahumadora mentions, then smoke it like a regular brisket up to done. Some prefer to steam pastrami up to doneness after smoking to say 160 or so, that's traditional, but I don't mess with that part, just smoke it all the way up to done.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Alabama Smoke I treat pastrami (corned beef brisket that is smoked) as regular brisket, I smoke it all the way to done like a regular brisket. Yes, desalinate it in fresh cold water about 8-10hrs, this is HIGHLY recommended (not needed in traditional corned beef since you're boiling it in water, it pulls the salt out).

• Mo Porkplease
    replied
    Something I just thought of, sounds yummy. Smoke the point, Braise the one inch chunks in Guinness and call it Irish burnt ends. Anyone try this before? If not I will volunteer to test it out. May need something with the beer to prevent burning the sauce. Ideas welcome....Perhaps some onion and serve with horseradish sauce spiked with Guinness or Jameson

Leave a comment:

• jgreen
    replied
    I would tend to agree with Huskee on this one, i would prefer the point made into corned beef and cabbage and the flat done on the smoker. If you are doing on the smoker anyway, you should try it as pastrami.

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    Can never have too much pepper !! I love a heavy coat of pepper on everything.

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    Smoke it but (don't add salt to the rub). If you want to slice it when it's cold just cook it to about 170F. To test the salt for you preference slice off a chunk and fry it up to taste test. Then you can use the fresh water trick to get the saltiness where you like it.
    Last edited by Ahumadora; April 2, 2020, 10:38 AM.

• shify
    replied
    I've made a few corned beef points into pastrami in my PBC over the past month. The point is richer and fattier and generally more forgiving. I took my corned beef, desalinated it overnight in a few changes of water. Then rubbed with pastrami rub and smoked to around 200 deg until it probed tender. Usually I take it off earlier and steam to finish but this time just smoked the whole way. For the leftovers, I did steam those slices

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    So, yes. Do not smoke these like you would a brisket until you look at recipe.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Hold on. Corned beef is way salty. We buy these after St Paddy's day on sale. Some for corn beef cooked in crock pot and some for pastrami. Go to the free section for the pastrami
    recipe. It is a little strong in the pepper, reduce if thats not to your likeing.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; April 2, 2020, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alabama Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    Your a little over my head here Huskee so an additional question for you: The one I smoke on the PBC......I was planning to simply smoke it like a brisket......is the fact that it has been corned make it pastrami, or do I need to do something in addition to it? Honestly, I was thinking of soaking it in cold water to remove some of the salt.... regardless, anything you can teach me would be greatly appreciated!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here