Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? How to Store Corned Brisket on its way to Pastrami?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? How to Store Corned Brisket on its way to Pastrami?

I have a brisket point corning since 4/26, on it's way to becoming pastrami, I hope. It's corned enough, maybe too much, but due to medical issues with my wife, I can't presently take the time to soak, rub, and smoke it. Might be a couple more weeks till I can. I'm inclined to put it in a freezer bag with some of the curing solution (it's in a plastic tub now), and freeze it. Or should I dry it, wrap it in plastic, bag it and freeze it, or vacuum pack it and freeze it, or just do one of those and keep in the fridge? Or just count on tossing it and starting over. I welcome all suggestions. Thanks.

Desalinate it, rub it, then freeze it. Then go straight from the freezer to the pit when you ready to smoke it.

Comment

I made pastrami over the weekend that had spent 5 weeks in the cure liquid. Turned out great. Much longer than that though and I'd have frozen it for when I had time for the other steps. Pastrami is tough because there's a large potential for "life happens" moments when it takes so long to make something. It's worth it though, wowzers is that stuff gooooood.

Comment

Thanks Jerod & David. Yes, this was certainly a "life happens" event, a broken hip. I've followed Jerod's advice, and it's in the freezer. I'll try to report back when I finish. I haven't done a point before, and this one certainly looks ready to fall apart, so I'll do it on the grate in the PBC; wouldn't trust the hooks. Just one of several cooks I've had to put on hold. Fortunately, I have some cooked ribs in the freezer to tide me over.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry to hear about the "even." And yeah, my point did not want to stay on the hook either. It started sinking off in no time.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here