Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Short Ribs

I ordered some prime beef short ribs from Creekstone Farms. It’s a local Kansas company and the same from where I ordered the Duroc pork ribs.

I’ve never cooked short ribs, however, have drooled every time I’ve seen them on this site and on other you tube channels and have been wanting to cook them.

Nothing fancy on these. I trimmed them getting rid of all the fascia (silver skin) and then did a dry brine using a 1:1 ratio of salt and freshly ground black pepper. They were dry brined for about 20 hours. Immediately prior to cooking I put on some olive oil and added a bit more of the Dalmatian rub then on the Yoder at 250. Cooked until probe tender - about 195.

They were positively spectacular. Meaty, juicy, and tender. They were one of my favorite things I’ve ever cooked and looking forward to trying it again.

Thanks all for your continued inspiration.

Sweaty
    Attached Files

Finished product. Hit post too soon
    Attached Files

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      When did you wrap in the paper? Did you cambro?

A came so close a couple weeks ago to picking up a Choice rack of those things at Walmart. I think I was going to do some pastrami but instead ordered the corned beef from Snake River Farms and smoked that.

Well Done!

Comment

I like your beer:meat ratio in that fridge. And nice job on those short ribs! They're really good.

Comment

Some people say that the ribeye cap is the best part of the cow. However, short ribs might give the cap a run for its money.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          I was a ribeye cap guy until these ribs. Wowser.

Looks really good. Well done!

Comment

Those look killer! I agree, after recently doing a 1st time smoke they are close if not the #1 smoked meat of choice for flavor in my book.

Comment

Man, Brother!!!
            Really Nice Job, them look fantastic!

I occasionally git some goodies from Creekstone, they are excellent to deal with, an their products are wonderfull, at a minimum!!!!

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              They couldn’t have been easier to work with and I gave my dad and father-in-law gift certificates from them for Christmas and they were happy happy. Love supporting local KS businesses (even more so now).

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Sweaty Paul
              Agreed, Paul! Longtime, an now, even more than ever, as ya done said, previous!
              Rest Yall jus keep on 'f'lyin over', (once ya can, again). We gots things covered, here on Th Prairie.
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 31, 2020, 08:26 PM.

Beef ribs are my favorite thing on the cow .... even more than a tri-tip (and that's saying something) .... that looks fantastic!

Comment

+1 on the Dalmatian rub. That meat has tons of flavor and just needs a little seasoning to bring it out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here