Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke Ring Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Ring Size

Question trying to figure out a new cooker, a camp chef woodwind wifi.

I did beef ribs for the first time ever, and adjusted my smoke setting to pretty conservative for this cook as to not oversmoke on my first go around. I did half the cook at 4/10 smoke level and then the other half of the cook at 1/10 which keeps the temperature much tighter. These are all smoke settings that are available on the camp chef.

Does the smoke ring look like it was well smoked or undersmoked? This is my first smoke ring (you never forget your first....) and am just trying to figure out how much depth other people are going for on the smoke ring/general smoke level. I have young kids, so I'll probably always be on the less smoke side for the time being, but also want to pick your brains for smoking experience to guide me into the depths of more smoke!
    Attached Files

Most important thang is, did it taste really good?
    Fwiw yer smoke ring an food look jus Great, amigo!!!
    But a smoke ring is jus a bonus; cook to delicious, then see if ya got one, or not...
    It'll vary, day to day, wx condits, each piece of protein ya cook, lunar phases, etc....
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 30, 2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Blues1
      Blues1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with Mr Bones. Cook to temp and taste and consider a nice smoke ring a bonus. You certainly got a very nice ring on this one!
      Last edited by Blues1; March 30, 2020, 07:15 AM.

There's these really smart guys, talks extensively bout th smoke ring thang: Best place to start
    https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...moke-necessary
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 30, 2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

They look great to me.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm definitely going to try to play with the settings to see where more smoke takes me.

Mr. Bones, it's also an honor for you to comment on my post, as I'll never forget when I first joined the pitmaster club, you had not posted for maybe a couple of weeks and the club thought you had to be dead. That's when I knew this guy must be legit!

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones -Ahh yes must be my onset dementia, how could I forget that infamous tale of woe -Can of Corn 🌽

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman No worries, my friend!
          I can safely assure ya that I will never fergit it, though!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Spam hurts too...

You can get a good smoke ring without over-saturating the smoke flavor. The smoke ring is visual only, NOT a representation of the smoke flavor it will have. The smoke ring happens early on, the over-smoked flavor happens later on.

A couple tips to try to make it deeper: 1) start with REALLY cold meat, stick it in freezer half hour before cooking or at least right out of the cold fridge, and 2) start with a lower cooker temp the first hour or so.

Here's the cliff notes of what happens: The heat turns the meat grey, the combustion gases lock in the pink color (smoke ring). The two are essentially racing each other into the meat at the same time. The gases win for a time as the cold meat warms, but eventually the heat overtakes it and turns the meat grey. The point at which the heats wins out is where the smoke ring ends. If you do certain things to give the gases the advantage over the heat, you can deepen it some.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman no, but I love a smoky old fashioned

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper - Ohhh, that sounds divine

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman 2 different ways to do it .... 1. Substitute 1 oz of Laphroaig 10 (or similar Islay scotch) for 1 oz of bourbon in your Old Fashioned. 2. Get a smoke gun thingie and use it when you make the Old Fashioned. I don’t have one yet, but a bar I like does that

Schwyy those ribs look fantastic. Inspired me to call the butcher and get a couple plates :-) .... what everybody said ... the smoke ring is a visual thing. That said, taste, smell, sight, touch are all critical elements of the food experience. So, remember that the smoke ring won't change the taste of the meat but it will absolutely be part of the food experience

Comment

Smoke ring size matters even less than that other size that doesn't matter . Don't worry about it. It's all about taste, and smoke ring has exactly zero to do with taste.

David

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Bellies?

Looks great!

Comment

Smoke ring or no, those certainly look like they were winners! Nice cook!!

Comment

Pretty sure you can get a smoke ring with propane and no wood chips or chunks even, it’s based on combustion gases and not necessarily wood smoke.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                And you can't get one with an electric smoker no matter what you do.

It's not the size of your smoke ring that matters...

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                it's the amount of pepper in yer rub!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here