Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Chuckie Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Chuckie Issue

So, I had my FB probe in what seemed like a good place. When it hit 185° I went out and started probing the meat with my Thermapen to see if it was actually ready. The meat all around where the FB probe was all registered within a few degrees. When I stuck the Thermapen into the adjoining muscle it was 20° colder. Has anybody heard of or experienced something like that before?

Seems like you may have had more fat and/or moisture in that muscle that caused more evaporative cooling. Just a guess.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      More fat equals less evaporative cooling since lean muscle contains more water. That is why thicker points will run ahead of flats.

Possible the FireBoard probe hit a pocket of fat?

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think so, since the Thermapen had similar readings in that muscle.

Fat on or near the surface can insulate various parts?

Comment

Did you inject?

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        No, sir.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        What kind of pit and how far apart were the two.muscles?

COS burning hickory splits. Reach muscle was about 1/2 of the roast. They were side by side a seam of connective tissue between them.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; March 28, 2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Chuck is plenty muscles with different characteristics. Can't expect that much variety to be equal across the board.

Comment

If it was on the side away from the fire box, it could be in a heat shadow. As Jerod Broussard mentioned, several muscles make up the Chuck, and they can cook at different rates due to many factors, including density and water content. Maybe rotate the roast 180° and keep at it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Lateral rotisserie. Now there's an idea.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here