Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help with cooking technique on a "unique" brisket butcher (and not by me!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I haven't tried your method with pastrami yet, Polarbear777 , but I intend to. In light of Meathead's comments about QVQ being only marginally better than SVQ, if at all, are you going to change up your method to SVQ? I say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but that's based on one ornery skinny brisket flat that turned out great using your QVQ method.

Kathryn

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    “Two-Week QVQ Pastrami” A: 12lb packer cured into corned beef, 5-7 days (use Blonder wet cure calculator or recipe from “Serious Eats”. https://amazingribs.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    troymeister , they're not my instructions so much as Polarbear777 's method. He's the genius here.

I think you'll like brisket prepared this way, though. My family sure did. I had planned on serving one brisket dinner and using the leftovers for chili. There were no leftovers, it was that good.

Kathryn

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    With beef it's your choice, on the one hand not wrapping will help dry it out some for bark development, or at least that's a theory. One the other hand, I don't care much for raw meat int he open so I wrap with plastic wrap or vac-seal it. Chicken or pork should always be wrapped for safety to avoid cross contamination.

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah in Texas they know what you mean. Around here if you say the name of any cut they look at you like you are from another planet.

• Arizona Packer Backer
    commented on 's reply
    .5 inch to .75" thick steaks??? Nooo! That's a crime against beef.

• Arizona Packer Backer
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome, thanks! You all have made me feel better about these cuts, and all the advice is really helpful. I'll let you know how it turns out!
    P.S. When you dry brine, does that mean no wrapping in the fridge? I've never dry brined before; I did it last night and ended up wrapping it, maybe I shouldn't have?

• Arizona Packer Backer
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks so much for that detailed explanation! Unfortunately at the moment, I don't have a way to sous vide, but I will definitely be rectifying that soon, and will save your recipe steps for the future!

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    They roll thin brisket all the time in...England, I think is the place.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Y'all need a new butcher, or to order it "primals intact" Polarbear777 Huskee

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    safely outside...why do I think there is a story there.

• Oak Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    +1 Huskee also. Your post wasn't up when I started mine. I came out of typing class at a blazing 18 words a minute and have slowed in my later years.

• troymeister
    commented on 's reply
    fzxdoc Thank you. If you don't mind I copied your instructions for when I need them in the future.

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    It will be a "faux" Wellington. Too many carbs in the crust on a real one for my blood sugar. :-)

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Make a giant Wellington out of it

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here