Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Tallow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Tallow

Like everyone else in these weird times and the fact our family spring break trip was canceled has given me more time for cooking. I had the opportunity to purchase a couple of prime KC strip loins. I then butchered them into individual steaks (we
    already ate 3). More important, because of this great website I learned how to render that fat into beef tallow which will be used in the future to make some delicious homemade French fries.

Many thanks everyone.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sweaty Paul; March 22, 2020, 07:01 PM.

This stuff is great! But for French fries!!! Oh wow! I havenโ€™t thought of frying with it. I usually just use it as the oil source for the sear on steaks. Great stuff here! Let us know how the fries come out!

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Most of the fast food chains used to fry with beef tallow, but the food police put a stop to that...

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      FYI - https://blog.cheapism.com/why-mcdona...-to-be-better/

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Buffalo Wild Wings still fries using only beef tallow.

I add some herbs, salt etc to the tallow and make a candle with a wick. At dinner put the lit candle on the table and pass it to drizzle on crusty bread. Same for a lard candle.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude. Are you kidding???
      I think I just. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜€รฐลธหœย๐Ÿ˜
      What an awesome idea. And the aroma in the house. Wow. ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Seriously? If so details please.

• rwhfly
      rwhfly commented
      Editing a comment
      One important point - Use a bowl tallow/lard and just tilt to pour off onto slice of bread (or potatoes or whatever)

Texas chapstick

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Texas Lube

These are approximate amounts as I wing it and taste.

For 1/2 cup lard or tallow I add some of the below:
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp dried parsley
    1/2 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/8 tsp dried oregano

1/8 tsp ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
    1/8 tsp salt

Salt is the only required ingredient in my opinion. I usually go with thyme, oregano or rosemary and sometimes add black pepper or garlic. Vary amount by how strong you want the herb taste. You can always add more by remelting.

When it tastes right make the candle in a bowl and pass at dinner. Just tilt and drip onto bread, potatoes, meat, etc.

Comment

• ILikePigButts
      ILikePigButts commented
      Editing a comment
      You deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for this

I've never made tallow before. is there a link to a how-to (I searched the recipe side)? is it as simple as rendering fat in a pan and pouring it into a jar? how long does it keep?

Comment

Only difference is I strained mine through a fine mesh sieve with cheese cloth after using a spider to get rid of the larger cooked chunks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here