Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen since 02/2018?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen since 02/2018?

I found a SRF Black grade teres major roast in the bottom of my freezer, looking at my order history I’ve had it since 02/2018. It worked its way down to the bottom and I forgot about it... oh, well.

I defrosted it and it looks a nice, deep red. I haven’t opened it to smell it yet, but assuming no off odors, do you think it will still be okay? I messaged SRF, but they have a vested interest in saying no, not because of selling another one but because conservative recommendations for frozen beef is 6 months, I believe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BFB5B3B0-1CA9-4D84-9830-007C93B9D052.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	818097

If in a deep freezer, it’s probably fine. If it smells good, I’d eat it.

Comment

Just the left of my side by side.

Comment

In that case I would not expect it to still be good.

Comment

Cast my vote with the if it looks good and smells good it will probably taste good crowd.

But then I'm a member of the what doesn't kill you makes you stronger crowd.

Comment

From the fed food safety site "The guidelines for freezer storage are for quality only"frozen foods stored continuously at 0 °F or below can be kept indefinitely.”

I am so cautious when it comes to stored foods, however I found a whole ham almost two years old in our deep freezer, read the statement above, and went ahead and cooked it. No issues at all.

Comment

If I had to guess it is okay but not up to the original quality.

Comment

I'd cook it.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  AND eat it!

Looks like its in cryovac packaging which would lead me to say its good if its been frozen.
                I've found the same buried in my freezer, if its slimy or stinks ditch it otherwise give it a go.
                Disclaimer: I have been known to be completely wrong on this subject.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Disclaimer... Bwahahaha story of my life.

It was off, I ditched it.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Smart 👍

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup!

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup, if it seemed/smelled off in any fashion, that's th thang to do with it.

Did you try rinsing it? I would have ate it.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And that's the story of his life!

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  😃😃😃👇👇👇

Beef should last 3-4 or more years if vacuum sealed and deep frozen. If in a conventional fridge freezer with a defrost cycle I would be careful.

Comment

Mosca has already made his decision, and he's the one who has to be comfortable with it. I've got stuff in my chest freezer that stays good well past the 6 month point. Butcher wrapped, not even cryovac. I'm with the crowd that says if it looks good, smells good, cook it and eat it. OTOH, my mother in law was notorious for putting stuff in her 125 lb. body that would have killed the average 300 lb linebacker. We were out to visit her in California one year and she had been saving salmon for me to grill when I came out. In the cellophane on Styrofoam packaging from the local Safeway. In her upright freezer. For who knows how long. She brought it all over to my brother in law's, where we were going to do the grilling. Worst case of freezer burn we had ever seen. Dumped it and went and bought some nice salmon filets. Whole filets, instead of the portions she had brought us. Wondered if she would say anything, but she must have figured I learned the trick of putting fish back together in seminary.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great save, an a Great Story, as always, Brother!
                    Be safe, an well!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here