Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami Wood?

I thought I would survey my Pit friends on this since I have a rubbed up corned beef wait to be smoked as pastrami either tomorrow or Saturday (weather depending). What wood do you prefer for smoking pastrami? Intuitively, i would think you want something less strong than, say, hickory. I did it once so far a few years ago and used cherry at Meathead 's suggestion on his recipe on the free side. It was ok, but I wanted to see if there is something better? Anybody? Currently, I have oak, pecan, apple, cherry and hickory "in stock.'

I challenge you to notice the difference! Honestly, anything you use will work. There's SO much going on with pastrami's many layers of strong seasoning that I have yet to tell the difference with what wood I've used.

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Wholeheartedly agree with this. In fact, I try to err on the side of too little smoke to avoid the risk of overpowering those layers of flavor.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. I did a corned beef brisket with hickory last week, and with apple wood this week, as I found a couple of chunks in the bottom of the Performer's charcoal bin. I can't say I noticed a difference.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, my opinion exactly.

I use apple. To be honest though apple has become my go to wood on a lot of my cooks now.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol Steve R. I won't lie I had to think about that one for a few seconds, but I chuckled when I got it.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I used apple wood for years, but over the past year have switched over to hickory, as I felt it gave me a better and more traditional smoke flavor. Plus my load of firewood last year had a mix of oak and hickory in it, so I was using smoking with chunks from the wood pile, versus buying it in bags from the store.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad it wasn’t cherry. That just seems like a weird name.

I threw in a chunk of white oak this morning for the portion I am smoking today. But, anything would probably work and depends on what you want the final output to be. Enjoy that pastrami coming up soon!

Comment

Hickory, Oak or Pecan work great. Just burn clean, that is all that really matters. I am cooking pastrami for the 4 day in a row.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, lots for the freezer? I have 2 pre-corned beef flats in the fridge waiting (they were on sale and quite plentiful) and my wife thought that was excessive!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude...beating me by one day...wait...i may brave the Chinese bat flu and get to Brookshires to pick up some corned beef just to tie you...

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, I am making it for other people.I am dropping them off at a few elderly neighbors of mine that are getting tired of eating the same thing every night! Huskee

The rub is sooooo strong that the wood is eclipsed by it.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

I dunno Dewesq55 I soaked a chunk of oak and cured that bad boy, threw on the rub and smoked it, yeah, the wood made A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        OmegaDog12 - Methinks Jerod Broussard was having a little fun acting as though I had been asking about using a piece of wood to make into pastrami, rather than meat. I don't think he actually commented seriously on my question. But thanks for your input.

• OmegaDog12
        OmegaDog12 commented
        Editing a comment
        You do know that dogs sometimes aren't smart enough understand when you're joking, don't you?
        The OmegaDog

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        OmegaDog12 To be fair, it has crossed my mind

My first thought on seeing the title of this post was "I didn't know pastrami grew on trees..."

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, it kind of has bark so...

I missed it entirely.

I have oak ready to go on three pieces of corned beef right now. However..... I actually slept in and am having coffee under a blanket in my recliner.

I need to get up and light the Primo. Don’t try and stop me.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I think most of us know to not bother someone who hasn't had their coffee in the morning. You do you.

Oak and mesquite mix

Comment

I did a batch last week and used hickory - very good. I’ve also used cherry. Both are great and hardly can tell the difference.

Comment

Whatever’s in the bin. Now, someone start a pellet flavor post....again

Comment

Mine is in now. 50 50 oak and mesquite as I posted above.

Comment

I know I have some Hickory and Peach but I'd really like to find a nice big chunk of Cherry or two for the 22 SnS combo. She is desalinating right now and will probably get smoked Monday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200320_002316.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	817948

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                I have an abundance of black cherry trees and can hook you up with that.

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Steve R. no traveling until 2025

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                I leave the traveling to the folks whose swift completion of their appointed rounds isn't stayed by snow, rain, gloom of night or COVID-19.

I'm rolling with my go-to pecan today. No pics, because I kind of forgot and I'm feeling extra lazy today.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                You?? I didn't get to bed until 6am and slept until 1:30pm. Made up for it by cooking bacon AND biscuits.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here