Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brining Ribeye Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brining Ribeye Steak

What is the process (steps) of Dry Brining- Alpha to Omega, please? Having a steak outing on Saturday with 4- 2inch Ribeye's and want to impress with a meal from the grill.

Huntington Beach welcomes you. 1/2 tsp of salt per lbs of meat. Put it uncovered on a rack overnight.

done deal.

(don’t ell anyone but I use more salt, you shouldn’t though)

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I won't tell - I do, too.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes what she 👇 said. Kosher salt.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be kosher salt at those amounts. If using finer grained salt such as sea salt, use 1/4 teaspoon per pound...

Yep, what he said. Although I use kosher salt, not table salt, at 1/2 tsp per pound of meat. Table salt is around 1/4 tsp per pound -- it's denser than kosher. After trying the recommended rate, adjust to taste.

If you end up dry brining the steak for a day or so, not to worry. It will be fine.

Welcome!

Comment

I eyeball the kosher salt, but 1/2 tsp for a good sized steak sounds right. I also will rub in some fresh ground black pepper as well. On a rack with out any cover.

Comment

I have two CAB prime ribeye and a skirt steak dry brining in the fridge in celebration of March 14th right now. I will be out on business the 14th so the wife wants to celebrate it tomorrow. She is cooking a steak breakfast, steak dinner, and has reservations for lunch at Dakota's Chop House. Salt that bad boy up with kosher salt, set on a wire rack in a baking sheet, and put in fridge uncovered for 6-24 hours. That's it.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          What? No Pi, er, Pie?

K.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc Key lime pie for dessert creamed spinach, sauteed mushrooms, and German potatoes are all on the dinner menu. And of course that "other" part of the holiday.

Welcome to The Pit. I have nothing more to add the the great advice you have already gotten.

Comment

Welcome to the pit!

There are so many Salt Bae gifs I would love to leave here..... but basically every one above has said what needs to be said.... enjoy!
          Last edited by Nate; March 13, 2020, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Can't stand that guy

Welcome from Virginia! Everything that has been said up to this point is spot on as always. This is a great group and you have come to the right place for advice.

Comment

As above and fresh cracked pepper before hitting the grill.

Comment

In addition to dry brining as described above, I’ve really come to enjoy applying "Big Bad Beef Rub" (with a little cumin....another pit jockey recommended that) before putting it on the grill. Great flavor and helps to develop a nice crust.

Enjoy

Comment

Troubador I will throw my 2 cents into the ring by pointing you at the wisdom of Meathead :

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ul-wet-brining

I follow his guideline of 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of meat - or since I have a shaker opening on my kosher salt, just give it a nice coat on each side, without measuring at times. I also dry brine with the steaks on a rack in a pan, so that they have air on both sides, versus just laying them on a plate. You can sure tell that the steaks have a nice deeper red color after the salt has done its magic for 4-5 hours or overnight. I usually salt them at lunch for dinner, and lately, add a rub right before hitting the grill, where I do a reverse sear technique (cook on indirect heat to 120ish, then sear over high direct heat until it reaches the desired doneness).

Also, I know conventional wisdom says not to use a rub with salt on it if you dry brined the meat, but I use either Montreal Steak or Jess Pryless' Hardcore Carnivore Black on my steaks, both of which contain salt, and have never had anyone complain about the steaks being over salted.

Did I say STEAK?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0968.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	814486
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0969.jpeg
Views:	576
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	814489
                Last edited by jfmorris; March 13, 2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                  IowaGirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I usually measure, because I tend to over-salt if I do it by eye. If I get the measuring spoons out and use 'em, I do pretty good.

• PaulstheRibList
                  PaulstheRibList commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very pretty!

Thanks Everyone- an additional question on the process. Do you remove some of the salt prior to cooking or add any more?

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, the salt pretty much dissolves and penetrates the meat. I add a dry rub just prior to cooking. Don't add additional salt unless its just part of the rub you want to use.

Thanks to all for your assistance on Dry Brining- especially JFMorris

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s what we’re here for! Don’t be a stranger.

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here