Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

48 hours in... SVQ chuck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

48 hours in... SVQ chuck question

So.... I decided I wanted smoked chuck this weekend, so into the Sous vide it went Tuesday. It's been 48 hours at 135 and I'm wondering... pull it? Let it go for 72? I'm fine either way, but at this point it's obviously cooked... so what's the advantage of letting it go another 24? I assume it's pulled vs sliced texture but is there anything else?

Mainly texture, I'd say. I'd personally be tempted to go the extra just to see what happens.

Comment

I did one 72 hours a few weeks ago for pulled beef and it was fantastic. For sliced I think I'd go between 36-60 hours, just pinch testing it felt pretty tender at 36 and really tender at 60. You definitely want to shock and fridge it before going on the smoker, because at 135 the fat doesn't really render at all in the SV bath; it did on the smoker just not as well as a traditional cook would have, it was more like the inter muscular fat in a medium rare rib eye than a low and slow chuckie.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah it's in the fridge now. The cold part thats about 35F.

Comment

I remember folks trying to answer a SV question for you before and your response in comment 7.3 of this post https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-or-recyclable

was "It's very likely I've been using SV longer than most on here." So I think I will avoid taking the bait this time.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb Nate is being a jerk here. this post added nothing at all and only was made to be nasty.

People get in my face, I get in theirs.

On the F bomb... you're right. Edited.
          Last edited by rickgregory; March 13, 2020, 01:02 AM.

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Rick, *sigh* I was just offering your own words up as to why I was unsure about offering help this time. I didn’t know your own words would make you so triggered. Makes me feel I made the right decision.
          Last edited by Nate; March 13, 2020, 03:35 AM.

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Rick, as far as getting in your face. Well... just No for multiple reasons:
          1. It is physically impossible because you are so many states away.
          2. I believe in personal space & not being in people’s bubbles unless absolutely necessary.
          3. And well the obvious reason right now, Washington state is like ground zero for Corona Virus in the states.
          Also I am currently out of tic tacs to offer you right now which I assume would be needed if I was in your face because of all that sighing you do

rickgregory Did someone appoint you as a moderator? Are you so special you don't have to follow the guidelines? This makes at least the third thread where you call or insinuate other posters are jerks, they don't add to the conversation, and should not post or read your posts. The other two, so you can't say I'm making it up, are here:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-or-recyclable

So tomorrow I'm doing a pork butt, but at eight pounds that is going to produce a lot of (really awesome!) food. The last time I did this, I didn't think things through and dumped most of the leftovers into a rubbermaid tub and put it in the freezer. Well, it suffered from freezer burn and, as it was frozen, it was hard to

Oh yeah, you may have removed your f-bomb, but you then justify it with "People get in my face, I get in theirs."

Again, review the guidelines, personal attacks (calling people jerks, trolls) are not allowed. Gross obscenities are not allowed. And bullying other posters by getting in their face, and telling them what to post and not to post is not allowed.

And since you seem to be obsessed with people not 'adding to the conversation', perhaps you might give some thought to that and take your own advice before you hit the post button.
        Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; March 13, 2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I prefer 134 for 36 on my sous vide chuck, then chill in ice bath and smoke or just sear at 600+

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here