Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

keeping briskit warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keeping briskit warm

how long can you keep briskit warm and how to do it?thanks cookinjack

You want to use what is called a "faux" cambro - wrap the brisket in foil, then in a couple of towels, and put it in a cooler to keep it warm. I've gone straight from the smoker to a cooler in this manner with 16 pound brisket at 205F, and it was only down to 160F 4 or 5 hours later. A smaller one with less thermal mass probably would have cooled a little faster.

If you need to hold it longer than 4 hours or so, I would suggest a warm oven - mine has a low temp fo 170F, which is fine for holding butts, briskets or ribs wrapped in foil.
    Last edited by jfmorris; March 12, 2020, 10:06 AM.

Comment

ok thanks..........did your internal temp go higher then 205 when it was resting?i would think it would dry out.....anyone take briskit off earlier and then wrap?

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        You cook brisket to probe tender - I monitor the temperature in the thickest part of the flat, avoiding the deckle (fat layer between flat and point). You may get a few degrees of carry over cooking, but I don't pull from the pit until probe tender, which varies by the hunk of beef - sometimes its 195, I had one hit 208 before pulling it. I've yet to have a dry brisket. I do crutch (wrap in foil) AFTER getting through the first stall - usually I wrap around 170F or so.

Not really worried about temp. Its probe tender you are looking for. If your probe and it goes in like into melted butter its done. Could be as low as 190* I wrap with a little fluid. Beef broth (low salt).
      Last edited by HawkerXP; March 12, 2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I just pile oven mitts and towels on top of the wrapped brisket.
        The oven will usually be on too so sitting on the cooktop helps too.

Comment

ok thanks.........cooked my first briskit 2 months ago and it was awesome.........my thermowerks probe went into the meat like it wasn't even there....it was at 190 degrees...........had probe in meat also (thermowerks smoke).........i wrapped it in butcher paper after the stall............temp kept rising after i took it off of heat at 190............it was prime briskit

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here