Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide vs. Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide vs. Wood

I did a comparison of the two methods. I began with two similar Costco prime 2" NY sirloins identically seasoned with salt and pepper. One was sous vide for 2+ hours at 125F and then put into the refrigerator for 20 minutes. The second began on a BGE at 300F for about 25 min and removed while the BGE temp was raised to 650F. Then both steaks were put on the BGE for 2 minutes on each side, both cooked to MR. I then conducted a blind taste test and the differences were easily detectable. Both had a similar crusty finish, but the sous vide steak was noticeably more tender. The steak cooked entirely on the BGE was a little more chewy but had a more pronounced smokey tase throughout. Overall the sous vide steak was slightly preferred.

Nice comparison. What was the temp of the BGE steak when you removed it before the sear step?

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks. It was cooked to 125F, and just after taking it out of the refrigerator and before putting on the grill it measured 105F. I read that you can get a better sear by refrigerating the sous vide steak first.

Comment

That is an interesting comparison. I have written here that I prefer a wood cooked steak to SV. I like the consistency that SV allows but for taste I prefer wood.

Now I will retract what I have previously said when it comes to a thick NY steak vs a rib-eye or fillet. Even with Prime, I have come across NY steaks that are just tougher and it can be a bummer when that happens. SV can really solve that problem. Nice write-up.

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          I would agree. I have purchased some excellently marbled NY’s, cooked to MR that came out tender and delicious and then some that came out a bit tougher, chewier. I guess SV would solve that issue, but I don’t see myself going down that road.

• BBQPhil
          BBQPhil commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve also found some prime sirloins (from Costco) to be surprisingly chewy. They look equally great in their package but sometimes they cook very differently.

I think smoke flavor is over-hyped. Kinda like the dark yolk - light yolk test, if people actually see the woodpile, all of a sudden the food got waaay better.

Tenderness and bark/crust bring more to the party anyways.

Comment

Well... (adds liquid smoke to SV bag...)

Comment

My mouth was watering the whole time reading, Good comparison. Talking about cooking steak's is better than...............

Comment

Would love to learn what the big steakhouses do. Both the meat source and the entire process.

Comment

No need to compare 2 different cooking methods.. sometimes by combing the 2 different methods you can create something you cant make any other way. For example, medium rare tender brisket and beef short ribs...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here