Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye 🥩 Dark Sear, Med. Rare Every Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charley Langer
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for that! I’ve learned a heck of a lot on this forum.

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris - Thanks for the correction. Totally missed that!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    pkadare you are reading just part 2 of a 2 part message. He actually said you don’t have to watch it as closely.

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    willxfmr I'm a little confused about this in your comment: "have to watch as close when making to avoid browning the milk solids.". The whole point of ghee, as opposed to simple clarified butter is that you want to brown the milk solids. That's what gives ghee its toasted, nutty flavour.

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Holding in Duck fat and tallow works too. I’ll see if I can find a pic.

Leave a comment:

• Charley Langer
    commented on 's reply
    HouseHomey, I didn’t know that. But I see why it is. I have to say those were really darn good!

• Charley Langer
    commented on 's reply
    Polarbear777, I guess it does look like I did, but I didn’t actually do it this time. But sometimes I do. Depends on how hungry I am. 😂

• Charley Langer
    commented on 's reply
    lovetogrill, willxfmr explained it better than I could. You could do it similarly in clarified butter. It’s almost the same.

• Charley Langer
    commented on 's reply
    tbob4 you crack me up! Thanks!

• willxfmr
    commented on 's reply
    have to watch as close when making to avoid browning the milk solids.

If you want to get really geeky about it, give this a read.
    Last edited by willxfmr; March 11, 2020, 09:00 PM.

• willxfmr
    commented on 's reply
    A lot of people will use the terms ghee and clarified butter interchangeably, but our friend Google has this to say on the subject.

Clarified butter and ghee are not the same. Ghee is clarified butter that has been cooked longer to remove all the moisture, and the milk solids are browned (caramelized) in the fat and then strained out. This gives a rich nutty taste. Ghee has a longer shelf life, both refrigerated and at room temperature.

Long story short, ghee is clarified butter that you don't

• Polarbear777
    replied
    So you sear the edges also?

Leave a comment:

• lovetogrill
    replied
    For those of us who have no idea what you mean by GHEE, please explain the term. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    replied
    Charley - I want that juice from your steak for the top of my baked potato!
    Last edited by tbob4; March 14, 2020, 10:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Holding beef in butter is a thing. We do it with tomahawks when we have them available for service.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here