Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye 🥩 Dark Sear, Med. Rare Every Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeye 🥩 Dark Sear, Med. Rare Every Time

For some reason, it took me a long time to perfect the steak that I love. And it’s magic, now that it’s happened. I can do it with my eyes closed, but that would take part of the fun out of it.

The way I love it: Dry brine for an hour or two. Sous Vide ribeyes (the thicker, the better!!) in ghee at 120 for an hour. Dry them off. REALLY dry them off. Rub all over with ghee. Grind pepper on one side.

Sear on a HOT griddle (outside!), pepper side down. Don’t move for at least three minutes. Sprinkle more ground pepper. Check the sear and flip. Remove when the second side has a good sear. Probably two minutes.

EAT!!Click image for larger version  Name:	5D95378D-3EE7-4483-96AE-BF861237DD16.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	591.8 KB ID:	813704
    Last edited by Charley Langer; March 10, 2020, 08:43 PM. Reason: Clarity

Looks good and sounds good! That will work well if you do the same thing the same amount of time with the same thickness steak each time.

Comment

I was thinking that was too long a sear... but you did it at 120 not my usual 130. I gotta try this. And ghee... of course.

Comment

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory I totally hear you. And that sear time works on my grill (it might be 2 minutes on yours). I used to do 130 on the sous vide. But the sear is going to take it up. I’ve tried resting the steak before the sear, and that’s actually not a bad idea.

The idea hit me when I read Meathead’s "extreme steak" post. He talks about a chef who keeps his steaks in clarified butter at 120, then sears over mesquite.

Meathead suggests we indirect cook to 115 on a grill. Then sear.

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory I guess what I’m saying is: try sous vide at a lower temp, acknowledging that a good sear is going to take it up a few degrees.

Nothing like a great steak.

Comment

Butter poached ribeye. That qualify's for last meal consideration.

Comment

I like it! I’m going to try it!

Comment

That’s how my steaks look when I’m done grilling them. That’s a mouth watering pic....love it. But I do the old front sear, turn, baste with butter and finish indirect. Yum.

Comment

Holding beef in butter is a thing. We do it with tomahawks when we have them available for service.

Comment

• Charley Langer
                Charley Langer commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey, I didn’t know that. But I see why it is. I have to say those were really darn good!

Charley - I want that juice from your steak for the top of my baked potato!
              Last edited by tbob4; March 14, 2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

For those of us who have no idea what you mean by GHEE, please explain the term. Thanks

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                willxfmr I'm a little confused about this in your comment: "have to watch as close when making to avoid browning the milk solids.". The whole point of ghee, as opposed to simple clarified butter is that you want to brown the milk solids. That's what gives ghee its toasted, nutty flavour.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                pkadare you are reading just part 2 of a 2 part message. He actually said you don’t have to watch it as closely.

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris - Thanks for the correction. Totally missed that!

So you sear the edges also?

Comment

• Charley Langer
                Charley Langer commented
                Editing a comment
                Polarbear777, I guess it does look like I did, but I didn’t actually do it this time. But sometimes I do. Depends on how hungry I am. 😂

Holding in Duck fat and tallow works too. I’ll see if I can find a pic.

Comment

• Charley Langer
                Charley Langer commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for that! I’ve learned a heck of a lot on this forum.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here