Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye 🥩 Dark Sear, Med. Rare Every Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TripleB
    replied
    That’s how my steaks look when I’m done grilling them. That’s a mouth watering pic....love it. But I do the old front sear, turn, baste with butter and finish indirect. Yum.

Leave a comment:

• Razor
    replied
    I like it! I’m going to try it!

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Butter poached ribeye. That qualify's for last meal consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Charley Langer
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory I guess what I’m saying is: try sous vide at a lower temp, acknowledging that a good sear is going to take it up a few degrees.

• Charley Langer
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory I totally hear you. And that sear time works on my grill (it might be 2 minutes on yours). I used to do 130 on the sous vide. But the sear is going to take it up. I’ve tried resting the steak before the sear, and that’s actually not a bad idea.

The idea hit me when I read Meathead’s "extreme steak" post. He talks about a chef who keeps his steaks in clarified butter at 120, then sears over mesquite.

Meathead suggests we indirect cook to 115 on a grill. Then sear.

• randy56
    replied
    Nothing like a great steak.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    I was thinking that was too long a sear... but you did it at 120 not my usual 130. I gotta try this. And ghee... of course.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Looks good and sounds good! That will work well if you do the same thing the same amount of time with the same thickness steak each time.

Leave a comment:

• Charley Langer
    started a topic Ribeye 🥩 Dark Sear, Med. Rare Every Time

Ribeye 🥩 Dark Sear, Med. Rare Every Time

For some reason, it took me a long time to perfect the steak that I love. And it’s magic, now that it’s happened. I can do it with my eyes closed, but that would take part of the fun out of it.

The way I love it: Dry brine for an hour or two. Sous Vide ribeyes (the thicker, the better!!) in ghee at 120 for an hour. Dry them off. REALLY dry them off. Rub all over with ghee. Grind pepper on one side.

Sear on a HOT griddle (outside!), pepper side down. Don’t move for at least three minutes. Sprinkle more ground pepper. Check the sear and flip. Remove when the second side has a good sear. Probably two minutes.

EAT!!Click image for larger version  Name:	5D95378D-3EE7-4483-96AE-BF861237DD16.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	591.8 KB ID:	813704
    Last edited by Charley Langer; March 10, 2020, 08:43 PM. Reason: Clarity

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here