Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advise on pre-cooking pastrami ahead of the party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advise on pre-cooking pastrami ahead of the party

Got some great corned beef from Whole Foods. Going to make pastrami for a St P day party, but want to get as much done ahead of time as I can. Not sure of the best way to do this. I'm thinking of three methods. 1. smoking it and steaming it until it is done......then refrigerate and rethermalize via sous-vide. Or 2: ...... same as 1, but rethermalize by steaming. Or 3: Smoke it, and refrigerate without steaming, then finish the cook by steaming just before serving. Your comments are appreciated! Thanks.

I would think steam right before serving. Have you seen this:

If you've ever wondered how to make pastrami then we've got you covered. Moist, tender, and full of flavor, this is the ultimate homemade smoked pastrami recipe. So what is pastrami? Simply put, it's Jewish barbecue, i.e. corned beef that has been smoked. This is about as close to Katz's pastrami recipe as you'll get!

Comment

• SipIt
      SipIt commented
      Editing a comment
      A buddy and I are currently curing the brisket to have again for St Paddys day. It's so delicious!

I would smoke it all the way up to finishing temp. I always skip the steaming step, I like a solid bark on my pastrami.

If you can, smoke it the day of, then throw it in a cambro until serving. If you are serving the next day: vac seal and shock it after smoking, Wrap it in foil, then reheat in a 350 F oven to 165 F internal temp, wrap the foiled meat in a towel then place it in a cooler to keep it warm until serving.

I always treat these cooks just like I would a brisket. Cook it all the way to probe tender, forget about the steaming step and serve!
    Results don't lie, my friend.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7128.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	813601Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7139.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	813602

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      flats don't dry out that way? (points, of course not)

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Look at the sliced pastrami!!!!!!! Excellent Spin!!!!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I know the flat above was not dried out. Never really had an issue. I only buy Prime or Wagyu though, so that makes a difference. rickgregory

Thanks! It tasted even better! barelfly

I'm with Spinaker, smoke like a brisket all the way to done, to me (and him) steaming just isn't worth the hassle. Reheat as you would any other BBQ meat at chow time.

Comment

I steam. Take it to 170°, then chill. Steam the day of up to 203°. Do it fairly often that way.
      Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        More great sliced pastrami! Man I’m excited for next week - got a brisket brining now for corned beef and pastrami!

My most recent one I smoked to final temp. It was the first time I’ve done that. For leftovers, I reheated via steaming and they turned out well. Regardless of which method you go,

I’m never a fan of par-cooking and finishing later, so I would cook to your final temp in whatever manner you like best and then reheat via steaming. If you slice it cold, it’ll only take a few min to reheat and you’ll get much cleaner slices.

Comment

I’ve always smoked it all the way but you may want to try David Parrish ‘s method. Smoke till bark is set, shock, refrigerate, then SV at 195 for four hours, then serve.

Comment

I did some starting with choice eye of round roasts thinking that round slices would make great sandwiches. Cured them with the corned beef cure from the free side, SV at 155 for 30 hrs. Shock chilled in ice bath. Then smoked to 125 following Clint Caldwell’s method. Turned out very good, just a huge time involved. 195 for 4 hours in SV will be my next try. Everyone I gave some to really liked it.

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            Just as an FYI there will be a huge difference in tenderness between 155 @ 30 hours and 195 @4 hours. Really important to keep in mind that with SV, temp is doneness and time is tenderness. Sorry if you know this already.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            pkadare what about 225° at 16-18 hours in a pit? Lol

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here