Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimLinebarger
    commented on 's reply
    I just did that and now have 4 quarts of tallow. I didn't grind it this time, just cut into small pieces.

• texastweeter
    replied
    Grind it, and add it to big stock pot along with about a cup of water to keep the bottom from scorching while enough renders out to prevent browning. Medium low heat until it has all rendered down and all that is left is tallow and cracklins. Strain through a mesh wire or cheesecloth, and seal.

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    commented on 's reply
    Slow cooker definitely works for me. If you let it go long enough you will probably melt some gelatin in addition to the tallow.

• scottranda
    replied
    Crock pot outside! Smells less 😀

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    I put the scraps in a disposable tin pan, let them render while I'm smoking something else. Then strain it twice with my fine mesh strainer. I put it all in a tupperware thing but I like the ice cube thing better. I've been cooking so many things with that beef fat lately. Can smell the smoke when I heat up the fat, but don't think I really taste any of it.

Leave a comment:

• racertrader
    replied
    great! Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    Just heat it up in a sauce pan. Let it simmer until it's pretty much all dissolved. There will definitely be some that doesn't render down.
    Once partially cooled down but still liquid I like to ladle it onto ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen pop them out and keep in zip lock bag in freezer. You can take out as many as you need.

Leave a comment:

• racertrader
    started a topic Beef Fat

Beef Fat

Just took my first brisket off the PBC (my first was on my Weber Kettle), and it's waiting in the faux-cambro. I was reading Meathead's comments on brisket and he said he keeps some of the beef fat for his steaks. I've saved some, but what's the best way to render it/melt it for later use?

Thx

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here