Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 1/2" thick Choice Porterhouses, reverse seared over peach wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 1/2" thick Choice Porterhouses, reverse seared over peach wood

Note thickness compared to the quarters
    Click image for larger version

Name:	steak2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	11347
    I always trim those fat bands before cooking, who wants a plate full of it when you're trying to eat? Plus pre-trimming gives you that nice sear on all edges instead of just top & bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4540.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	11346

Not the best color contrast due to flash, but notice the perfect medium from reverse searing.
    Note: It was 5 degrees outside in early January when I made these guys.
    Last edited by Huskee; August 19, 2014, 02:26 PM.

Sweet! Even with the color contrast from the flash, you can see the effectiveness of the reverse sear. Were they as good as they looked?

Comment

Originally posted by Crimedawg View Post
      Sweet! Even with the color contrast from the flash, you can see the effectiveness of the reverse sear. Were they as good as they looked?
      Yes! A dry brine for 4 hrs (all the time I had) worked to make every bite perfectly salted. I felt like that show Man vs Food, it was work to get the last 1/4 of it down but it was sooo good. Juicy like you wouldn't believe!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post

Yes! A dry brine for 4 hrs (all the time I had) worked to make every bite perfectly salted. I felt like that show Man vs Food, it was work to get the last 1/4 of it down but it was sooo good. Juicy like you wouldn't believe!
        NICE. So you had one of those all to your self? Did your better half eat the other?

Comment

No I'm not sure she could even eat the loin part. Family was gone for the evening. A guitar-playing buddy was over for some music, beer and steak. You know, total guy night. #roughlife

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice. I get those about 3 or 4 times a year when I host poker night

Huskee Steak for the Huskee Guy - PERFECT meal for a SUPER Moderator on the Premier Q website! And which of your pits did you use to turn out this masterpiece?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I did these on the firebox side of my Yoder Wichita offset. I gotta run, I hope be back here a bit later tonight to elaborate..

Updated, re-uploaded the pics. I hope they show up now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here