Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak - my way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak - my way...

First, I don't claim to be an expert, or that this is the best way to cook a steak. It is just my way. But it works for my wife and I.

Well, ya gotta start with some fire - I use KBB

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200301_172253[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.33 MB ID:	810368

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200301_173148[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.69 MB ID:	810369

A little mise en place (Don't tell anyone I forgot to take this photo before I put the steaks on.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200301_174631[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	810370

I front sear on the chimney if the steaks are small enough. That makes it easier to dump the right amount of coals to keep the temp low enough to finish the steaks in the kettle. I flip about every minute until I have a nice crust - don't forget to do the sides too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200301_174549[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	810371

Lately I have been using Oak Ridge Boys Carne Crosta because it's designed to work over a high heat sear - we really like it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200301_175432[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	810372

After the sear I put a small mound of hot coals in the SnS for the low part and set the bottom vent about 1/4 open and the top vent just slightly more open than for 225°. The dome temp set steady at ~ 290°, so I figure that's around 250° at the grate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200301_180604[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	810373

I pulled the steaks at 140° which is our preferred temp. When I do the slow last, there is very little carryover.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200301_181725[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	810374

And the reward for all the hard work. My wife said they were excellent. I was mighty pleased.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200301_181926[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	810375
    Last edited by RonB; March 1, 2020, 08:05 PM.

Nothing like sticking to the fundamentals!

Comment

Whatever works for a person is definitely the right way with them!

looks great!

enjoy!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen, if it works, don't fix it.
        Well, I mean fix the steaks, not the method!

So I looked up that rub, expecting to see salt, black pepper....but wait, the primary ingredient is roasted coffee! How interesting! I may have to give this a try.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        When they roast coffee, it's at a very high temp, so it does well in a rub for searing.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Coffee is a big player in my BEv0 Bark rub.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        That makes perfect sense. I've generally shied away from steak rubs as the first few times I used them, I always seemed to burn, or at least bitterify (is that a word?) the pepper.

Looks great Ron! I always enjoy seeing pics of your property, love the hardwood forest look.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        If only pine were a hardwood, eh? ;-)

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        When we bought this property in '82 it was totally wooded and we removed as few trees as possible. With one tree falling on the house and a miss of a foot or two on the shop plus one tree taking out part of the fence around the garden, I'm starting to rethink that decision...

Something is definitely wrong here. The plate. Should be MY plate!

Comment

Carne Crosta is one of my favorites! Great looking steak!

Comment

Looks fantastic but I feel for those poor vegetarian joggers downwind.😆

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here