Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami time

It's that time of year when corned beef starts showing up at the stores out here in the sticks. Pastrami is always a hit at our house. I smoked 2 corned beef points today with the rub recipe from AR. I cooked them in my Kamado at 300F with a bit of apple wood then wrapped them in foil at 175 IT and went on to an IT of 203. I managed to keep everyone away long enough to let it rest for an hour. Every time I tell those here that it's better if you seal it and refrigerate it a few days. I still can't prove that, there's never any left. If you haven't tried Meathead's pastrami recipe you're missing out on some serious shock and awe. You're going to hear, "this is really good,"followed by "you made this?". I usually freeze several points while they are available and the selection is good. You can honestly make the best pastrami you've ever eaten at home.

Definitely my favorite recipe on the site!

Comment

Yep. Pastrami, right after bacon, is the biggest bang for the effort you can do.

Comment

Some seeded rye, krout, Swiss cheese, pickles, and German dressing...press it with some butter and KA-POW!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thousand Island

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude knows how to garnish a samage.
          I still go for a good mustard on Pastrami, but have experimented with local Chipotle Mayo. Not bad but sticking with mustard.

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup...pastrami, mustard, rye. Perfect sammich.

Try making your own corn beef, even better !!!

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          That's on the agenda for this year. The carpenters have the walls up and the rafters on my new shop. When it's complete I'll have room for a dedicated refrigerator for corned beef, bacon, and dry aging. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't really need a dedicated fridge unless space is an issue. Corned beef is easy too and super tasty

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Space is the issue. We have one of those fridges that the bottom half is a freezer drawer.

I may need to make a pastrami brisket soon, the whole packer. I steam it to finish on my Holland grill...which needs to be replaced, but they went out of business...whats a guy to do?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          @Texastweeter: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...aintenance-and
          I did this before I had the Grilla for smoking. A hybrid method, with the water pan on top of the grates on the hot side, and under on the cool side. That let me drop a couple chunks down on the flavorizer bar, or run a pellet tube for smoke.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack smoking Is not the issue I have 2 dedicated Gasser smokers here at the house, 2 charcoal smokers at the ranch house and the vacation house, and two trailers from pittmaker, each with a charcoal smoker and a stick burner. The issue is steaming it afterwards. In the past I would fill up the water pan in my Holland grill, making it a giant steamer. The lower she'll is rotting out, so I probably have a year out of her left. I can't complain she is from the 80s.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack I may have to fill up my 5 gallon deep fryer with water, fashion a wire trivet or hanging basket to Holt the brisket, and steam her Tamale style.

My Aldi Sneak Peak says points will be on sale for $1.99 a pound in next weeks ad.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Are flats on sale now?

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          gcdmd the ad said points. If I remember correctly the flats went on sale closer to St. Patrick’s Day.

Yep, for sure my favorite recipe on the site.

I like making the corned beef myself, but the store bought ones are usually a great deal after St. Pattys day. I can get them for pennies on the dollar at my local store.

Comment

I did the same thing yesterday. Found a corned beef brisket flat from last year hiding in the bottom corner of the freezer. Delicious.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I have not, but I am sure it will be great. To me, they are a lot like a brizzy. texastweeter

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I may try a chustrami or a pastruck this weekend. IowaGirl Spinaker

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            I hadta think 'bout that for a minnit.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here