Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early morning ribeye cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early morning ribeye cook

Going through the freezer the other day, I came across a 7 year old choice ribeye steak. My food saver bag was still nice and tight, so I thawed it out and did an experimental cook this morning. I was going to have steak & eggs without the eggs. I covered both sides and edges heavy with kosher salt (you couldn't even see the meat), let that sit for 15 minutes and then rinsed it all off. Rubbed it all down with Worcestershire and seasoned with Oakridge BBQ's Spogos. I wanted to practice my 2 zone cooking on the BGE, (actually I guess you would call it 2 temperature cooking). Using the adjustable rig I set the bars in the lowest setting and placed my grill gates flat side up on top of the bars. I put the top grate on and got the temp at the top grate to 275+. cooked each side for about 15 minutes and then pulled at 115+. Then open the lid, took the top grate off and let grill grates get to 600, sprayed the grates with olive oil spay and also sprayed the steaks. Then re-seasoned the meat with Oakridge BBQ's Carne Crosta and put them back on for 90 seconds per side. They were a little salty because of the way I dry brined them, but all in all, Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_534.jpeg
Views:	580
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	807041 really good flavor for an early morning cook.

Aged beef!

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, lol.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahahaha. I was going to write the same thing. Between your responses and catfish tacos I think we on some cosmic wave link.

• wrgilb
      wrgilb commented
      Editing a comment
      You might be right. Love catfish, with our Mississippi roots we've eaten plenty of it.

Ya shoulda put half back in the freezer to see if it would last another 7 years...

Comment

Wow! I love the line "steak & eggs without the eggs". I on occasion will make a morning steak or eat ribs that I smoked overnight first thing in the morning. My wife thinks it's crazy, glad I'm not alone. Great advertisement for Foodsavers too.

Comment

Waste not want not

Comment

Wow. Seven years. I've known marriages that didn't last that long.

I rotate my freezers' contents so we can eat the frozen stuff up within one year. I thought that was stretching it. You proved me wrong. Nice-looking steak.

Kathryn

Comment

• wrgilb
            wrgilb commented
            Editing a comment
            I tend to over buy, especially when I see great deals. I have all my upright freezer proteins on a spread sheet, so I always know what I have, but the problem is so much meat to cook and so little time :-)

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I tend to over-cook, so I've always got a half dozen packages of pulled beef, pulled pork, etc. in the freezer, wrgilb . The daughters take them off my hands pretty quickly, though, along with the bacon, whenever they visit.

Kathryn

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Even though the meat itself might be fine especially if vacuum packed, I think the fat can get a little "old" smelling after 2 or more years in the freezer. I don't mean a spoiled or rancid odor - just not super-fresh. I don't automatically throw out older frozen meat unless there's a good reason for me to think it's not sanitary and safe, but I might trim the fat a little closer than usual or use it in a dish or with a sauce that has bold flavors to offset any slight "less than fresh" aroma..

Wow, very nice. That is a long time in the freezer, I probably have a few in there myself!

Comment

I love the "steak n eggs, without the eggs". Brilliant! Pretty darn good looking breakfast if you ask me:-)

Comment

Seriously killing man.

spreadsheet, triple seasoning, live fire, breakfast and way too much salt. Love it!!

I aint worthy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here