Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picanha help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picanha help

Went to our local Bi-Rite yesterday to order some beef short ribs and spied a few sirloin caps. Never seen them around here before so snatched one up. This one is about 2.5lbs. Did a quick search for "picanha" here but couldn't nail down a technique. I'd like to cut it in strips and skewer it but could really use some direction here. I'll be cooking on a Weber kettle and can use briquettes or lump.

Never seen it done on skewers but this is a good way to go:

Well first I'd like to introduce you to my little friend, her name is 'Cherry Bomb'. My old '91 N-code kettle bit the dust and after a few years of cooking on other smokers and

Comment

When you cut the strips from the main piece for the skewers cut them with the grain. When finished your guest will be cutting their eating pieces across the grain since it will be flat on their plates.

Comment

Trim it to square some like-sized pieces and skewer them like a "C" with the fat cap facing out. You can use a rotisserie spit rod if you have one. Build a hot charcoal fire and cook the outer layers flipping the meat as you go. Then slice off thin layers of meat at your desired doneness and re-salt the meat each time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fbu1kOhJfFUQALZ0rNdFGGHybc3mGXllvBFfMet2hVir6P4FJQhjpkRrp3DAxA2SxCF0BZg_6ufNguDmQ4bD-7YN3VZJcvpkCo4JvUN7FuMQekA89iYziVwfNCoqRUjBSNsfTwbO7p2VHszraZzKNyBVZN9Jz33FZuihCypFKY5aM5kfW9zDBn7dWbIrmWl39BML_mozMkDYS8ynAXEmP0ZADvdO9i5NyP4zEh4r5Yv7F9RIHCQ6tmSDO3KHaj- Views:	0 Size:	556.1 KB ID:	806090

Click image for larger version  Name:	30eDmbXE9LCjkSIicIjl2cj5JHCUhdGmTgb5FLsrf24gfM4Y9khGL_TJ7KfdJRhAHN7649bafs5fSX6zuTa5cJgzrINlNANitCjluMy-9xKss-oIWuDjHPDiTQYjPwkPNyJrDheOAfU2lThLQZOQva67K7vW3NfY-kHvp6gOqaJk54cdqHPZJJ-5G-pIEkx0g3gFlb7TvXJ4H_oUrrKwrMeg7pxkcBfOORKCJs4LjKHAue7i6HrGN3YwwsCIPdB Views:	0 Size:	367.9 KB ID:	806091

Click image for larger version  Name:	7cRR8aXqYPzwcjDUBLT1sNdC-UAjXdUrjevHEwK4FaVc7D4hjTjz4b_FnBkESPZRe5Fgxva9TDQtX9ag3vkqHn0wcWkLUQMqO5KGwC_Thvr6XypKPJzEnU1JKEN3HaXpES-JaZTm7xDIFg9YO38ZhX13EINXJTUEPb8Ze_hsu-iqSWUZPsuJNC211qhqUs1IYiW75dGhBcLzpM8lkS0_Jw4fTURtfZvmlbpaM4JVYdEEd5cyR-lG4gyQckYKMnm Views:	23 Size:	369.8 KB ID:	806098
        Last edited by Attjack; February 22, 2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Grant does point to my method of roasting it, which works well for me. If you want to skewer gaucho style simply slice into 1 1/2" -2" thick strips WITH the grain (or the long way) of the roast. Be sure to leave the fat cap on, no less than 1/4". Skewer them in a C-shape like the pictures show. The South Americans simply use rock salt then cook them over open flames. I like to dry brine then use pepper, but that's certainly a personal taste. Once they are done and de-skewered, cut pieces against the grain or the short way. Cook them to the degree you normally would cook any rare steak, I like mine around 120-122* with a rest that brings it into the high 120s. Good luck !!

Comment

Pretty much what Attjack and Troutman said.
            But the best way I can help is if you have me over so I can help you eat them.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              lol!

When you're looking at the meat side, you'll notice 3 veins where blood flowed. The strips that you cut between the 1st and 3rd vein will be the most tender. The strips you cut before the 1st vein and after the third vein will be a little more chewy. Great piece of meat, unfortunately, Costco now slices the cap into steaks and removes all the fat.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              Pro tip, thanks!

Thanks for all the help fellas! I'll be breaking out the Smokey Joe for this one.
            Last edited by Hulagn1971; February 22, 2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Gaga from Sous Vide Everything has a video on the whole process and is very informative.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEgNPDXKVX8 This is a great video that explains Picanha very well. This video is from Slow n Sear.

Comment

How the hell did I miss this Meathead ???
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	0222202119.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	806468Click image for larger version

Name:	0222202111a.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	806469Click image for larger version

Name:	0222202111.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	806470

Comment

• Meathead
                    Meathead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Brazilian stye is a lot of fun!

That’s sooo cool. An autographed copy.
                  I love it. 👍

Comment

Similar to Attjack and Troutman

Click image for larger version

Name:	Churrasco.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	807033

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh gosh, I'm hungry now.

Kathryn

• Meathead
                      Meathead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks really authentic!

• CaptainMike
                      CaptainMike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, Meathead, I am an old gaucho. Or is that groucho? Something like that anyway...

CaptainMike I need some skewers like that. Cooked this way last night on the Smokey Joe. Removed the top grate and placed the skewers across the top edge but (1) they weren't really long enough and (2) they kept flipping over so the fat side was down and making it flame up pretty bad. I only used a little lump and had it spread out pretty good. Meat tasted great but was a little on the rare side.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here