Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My current preferred steak searing method....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My current preferred steak searing method....

I eat a lot of steak, ribeyes mainly. I buy the whole standing rib roasts in USDA rime when they go on sale in December at like 9.99$ a lb. Like 3 of them each weighing in at 16+ pounds. Although I might do the prime rib for Christmas this is mainly for making ribeyes and I don't trim much if any fat off. You see I am doing that keto thing and I don't leave any fat on the plate even for a ribeye. I slice them up, add some salt and vacuum seal them the off to the freezer.

When it is time (as it is quite often) I toss one or two in the sous vide at 129 for 3 hours. The only variation is how to sear. I have tried over the gasser, on CI,with a searzall, over charcoals nearly up to the grill and the chimney of coals. The charcoals do the best job but most of the time it is me cooking one steak and doesn't seem worth it. I particularly want the fat to get a nice crispy brown exterior which makes it even better to eat. Remember I haven't really trimmed the fat like a normal ribeye so there is plenty of it...it is USDA prime so it is buttery soft.

SO I crank up the cast iron (slowly..I first heat to low and then to high), add a tiny bit of canola or ghee if I have it. Toss the seasoned side of the dried steak down and take my Searzall to the top side focusing on the fat. 60 seconds later I flip it, repeating the dual approach. Right then I lift it up and hit the searzall to the fat on the side and we are done. A little butter on the top and fork ready.

That's just the way I am doing it now.

FYI

I have been doing something similar if I am understanding your technique right. I, too, buy the roasts, freeze for and hour and then cut into steaks. I dry brine for 24 hours before vacuum packing and putting in the freezer. I use my Santa Maria grill with GrillGrates and a hot fire underneath. I start with a quick sear down low - 1 minute per side. I raise the grill flipping every three minutes 2 -3 times. Then, I spent a good amount of the grilling time with the steak actually sticking side up, propped against a small Lodge sauce pan to burn the heck out of the fat. Many times during this process, I even cover the steak. I have flames coming up pretty high with this method. I take the steaks off, put them in a finishing sauce and then back onto the fat flaming grill for 1 minute per side. I get really nice grill marks (which I like), and consistent browning underneath.

Comment

I do something similar as well. I use the cast iron griddle on my gasser side burner... I hit the fat and the sides with a torch while the flat sides are searing on the cast iron.

my wife recently got me a searzaw so I’m sure this will be something I try!

apparently great minds think alike or similarly.

Comment

ANyone ever use an air fryer to sear a steak? I dont have one but you know me and gadgets... I have thought about one just for chicken wings!

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Curious to know if this would work. I get a good crust from a 600F CI pan. Air fryers generally top out below that and will be much weaker than direct conduction.

Wings should work in 450F air so there’s hope.

I've been doing keto for about 6 months. Like you I found prime rib on sale in late December and bought 7 of them. One of them I smoked as a traditional prime rib. I've already told the story of how I had to slice and the throw most of it in a skillet to get rid of the pink meat before my guest would eat it. I think I'd rather cook for vegans than people who want prime rib well done. Anyway if you get ready for a nice change, mix up some blackening seasoning to put on your steak before it goes in the skillet. It should be great with your method. A beautiful blackened medium rare ribeye is a treat for the nose, eyes, and your taste buds.

Comment

Brilliant.

Comment

Y'all be careful with that, had a grease fire in the kitchen last week doing something similar. Works great...untul you have to dump baking soda on your steak, lol.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              I do all searing outside, mainly because of the smoke but this is also a good reason.

Great thread. Where do you typically buy your roasts?

Comment

• fracmeister
              fracmeister commented
              Editing a comment
              HEB here in Texas!

This is how I do most of my searing now. On the BGE I have the adjustable rig set up with the bars holding the grill grates flat side up, down low. I then cook on the top grate at between 250-300, I pull the steaks at 120-125 and remove the top grate, the lower grill grates have warmed up, so opening the lid and the bottom vent gets them up to 600 in a matter of minutes. I then spray some duck fat or spread some ghee on the meat and sear, flipping every minute or so, until I get my desired look. The pics are of a ribeye cap that I did awhile back. Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.34 AM (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	803396Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_523.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	93.4 KB ID:	803395Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	803394
            Last edited by wrgilb; February 16, 2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here